1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Adoption in Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Pauline, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I know that for England & Wales there is an Adoption register which the general public can consult but I gather there is nothing similar in Scotland.

So is there any way of discovering if someone was adopted in Scotland in the 1940s or 1950s other than speculating on the basis of being unable to find a birth record? I am not looking for any potentially confidential information about the adoption - only whether or not they were adopted.

2. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

English adoptions are only officially recorded after 1926 (or is it 1927). Before that, it was all unofficial and few records exist unless some agency like Barnado's was involved.

With regard to your question, sorry I don't know. I've not had to venture north of Hadrian's Wall in my research yet - nor west of Offa's Dyke!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The National Archives of Scotland has a page dedicated to the subject.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Many thanks for this. On checking I see I have already looked at this page and it seems mainly aimed at those wanting detailed information relating to adoptions, and confirms that this information is not available to the general public, which I can understand.

But the Adoption register for England & Wales allows me to see if someone was adopted without giving me access to any sensitive or confidential information. I was hoping there might be something similar for Scotland.