1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Address search at FMP

Discussion in 'Ask Peter' started by Heather, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Thank you Peter. At one point I had failed to find 1911 census returns for any addresses in Slinfold, Sussex, and thought they had been destroyed by an act of vandalism but now I can see that the WHOLE village was mistranscribed for FMP as Shinfold, which does not exist.

It is VERY easy to miss the Person/Address tabs unless you know of their existence, even though they are right in the centre of the screen.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The problem first reported to me in 2012 related to certain streets in Edinburgh, but it was also pointed out by the same member that there were no results for 'Victoria Street' in the whole of Scotland (the new site finds 44 in the 1901 Census). Findmypast did agree that there was a problem, and as far as I know it was never fixed - however I rarely use the Scottish censuses myself, so it might have been remedied without anyone telling me.
    I don't know where to look for that particular entry, but my searches using the Address tab certainly found similarly named places (see my earlier post). The old site wasn't perfect - some named places showed up in address searches, but some didn't. When I searched a town or village there could be lots of search results at the end of the list with no place name shown, and only by clicking through could you find out which properties they related to. (This may not have been a problem with Scottish censuses - I didn't routinely use them as I don't have any Scottish connections.)
    I didn't say that - in fact, I pointed out that there are two different ways to search by address at the new site, compared to only one at the old site.
    I can't see what has been lost. There are two different ways to search the 1911 Census by address, and if you use the Address tab it is very similar to the address search at the old site. The second option is to use the Person search to search by address - this is usually my choice because it saves a lot of time when searching long roads.

Perhaps you are looking at earlier censuses, where the Address tab has yet to be added?
    If you raise a query with Customer Support it is dealt with by a Customer Support person, but if you post something on the Ideas Board it is read by someone involved in development. Findmypast users had plenty of opportunity to comment on the plans for the address search - there was a long-running consultation to which over 1500 Findmypast users contributed in one way or another (correction: over 1500 votes were cast but users could cast more than one vote, although they had a limited number of votes to use across all the topics).

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  3. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Yes Peter that is great, but the old address search could be used for every census not just 1901 and 1911.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Quite right - and the 1911 search was intended as a prototype for other census years (see the Ideas Board discussion to which I and 150 other subscribers contributed).

Right now the Findmypast aren't making any promises about when - or even whether - the new search will be extended to earlier census years and they need to be encouraged to do so. If people complain to Findmypast about address searches generally it is likely to delay the process - we need to be encouraging them, telling them that what they've done for 1911 is great, and that it needs to be extended.