1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Address search at FMP

Discussion in 'Ask Peter' started by Heather, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Before FMP changed to it's new format I could do an address search in the census section and just put the name of the town in the appropiate box and a list of all the streets in that town would be shown. In the new format I do not appear to be able to do that, can anyone help, please?

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

A good question Heather. Have you tried switching to the 'old search' (top left 'Looking for the old search?)

I also found under Q&A searching for address search: 'The 1911 census address search is still available, this can be found when on the 1911 census.

It also added that to search by address only select the address tab; and added this link. Address Good luck and let us know if it works.

3. Bob Spiers

Despite my best efforts and trying my previous advice, I could not find the elusive Address search and even the link failed me, so hope someone else comes up with the solution. No wonder I've gone off FMP or perhaps it has gone off meo_O

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

5. Bob Spiers

Well I expect so (mine didn't work for some reason) and it leads to the FMP Search page but where does it show the 'Address tab' promised as per my posting to Heather? If you just enter a town and nothing else it will default from AA to ZZ names and not as it would if it was searching by address. But thanks for sorting out the search, not that it appears to provide the answer.

I have asked FMP to comment on address searching but don't hold your breath.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  6. Bob Spiers

I may have had a Eureka moment just tinkering about with FMP searching. On a Search page click on the A to Z of Record Sets upload_2015-4-23_16-54-11.png and enter the Census year (eg 1911 Census for England and Wales) -you need only type 1911 Census and it will show as shown.
    Then Voila! it opens giving the option to search by person or address! upload_2015-4-23_16-56-47.png Once you select Address the search criteria changes and requires entries under Parish or Town. You can then filter by county (or country) and even street. The Search tabs then displays (for 1911 at any rate) Search Street Results for 1911 Census for England and Wales. That as I recall is what used to be found by a less arduous route.

By the way if you search by Person, this will also allow a Reference search (Reg District, Piece, Schedule etc) which like the Address search can be exceedingly useful at times.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  7. Heather

Thankyou for your efforts Bob and Tim, I have tried your suggestions and only the 1901 and 1911 census have a Person/ Address option, which is great if what you are searching for, is in those years. On the old FMP site one could bring up a search for the earlier census years and only enter the town name and would be shown a list of all the streets etc in that town. Then I could trawl through the list picking out the ones I thought would help. There was even a group of addresses under "Others " or some such heading, for all the big houses that stood alone and did not have a street address as such. This method helped me find quite a few ancestors whose names may have been mistranscribed and who I knew still lived in the town. I am originally from Darwen in Lancashire and some of the addresses were not your average street names. I suppose most small towns and villages all had their "Back Wood Street"with farms being quite hard to find and some of the areas would only have one house, with no street name until more houses were built in that area, so were described as "Top of Meadow" or "Owd Timothys" eg. The new FMP site has lots of great features, but I wish they had left this particular search facility on there. Thanks again.

8. Bob Spiers

Surprisingly, but creditably, FMP have responded to my query and actually state that an address search 'still' can be found after opening to a Census Land & Surveys page:

If you wish to search a specific census year for an address, please type the census
    year into the "when" field and you can then type in the registration district,
    or county, you are searching in into the "where" field. Further down the
    page you will see the option to enter the address details.

They make no mention of using the 'A-Z of Record sets' despite that being displayed top right of the page and I am sure you would have tried what they suggest anyway (I certainly did and it did not produce any street names, whereas the A-Z Record set did). I have to own to only trying the 1911 set and take your word that it does not work for other than that Census and 1901. I cannot recall trying for an address search with older Censuses but I am sure it worked after a fashion for both 1881 or perhaps 1891.

They go on to say :"If you experience any issues with searching for an address in the census, please just send a reply
    back to this email with full details of the address as we are happy to check this for you"

So if you would like me to do this let me have the details being sought and I will pass it on for you.

9. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

However Bob this is not what Heather is after. Since you have their ear perhaps you can point out that on the old method what you could do was to do an address search ie: YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE ADDRESS but could enter the parish name and get a list of the addresses in the parish. What they are suggesting is that on the form you can enter the address but that is NOT what is being asked.

The key thing to point out is that they used to have a search that returned a list of ADDRESSES. Now it seems ALL the searches return a list of PEOPLE!!. So the point is what type of data is returned we want then to re-instate the search that gave a list of addresses returned not a list of people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Bob Spiers

With respect Alexander, neither is your interpretation or at least pays no attention to my own response which showed FMP did also for Address searches; even though as Heather later comments did not go far enough.

However you do make a good point when you say (in caps)..." YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE ADDRESS but could enter the parish name and get a list of the addresses in the parish" That is the question I now need to ask and so have concocted a reply asking how his can now be discovered, or if it such a search will be reinstated. Will let you know what they say.

11. Alexander Bisset

Sorry Bob, I think I did get that your reply showed how you could do an address search. My point was that there was a misunderstanding in what was meant by an "address search".

FMP's reply seemed to suggest a method of searching BY address without having to enter a name - that is of course an "address search".

What I think Heather was missing was a method of searching FOR an address which is also of course an "address search". The key difference being you get back a list of addresses not a list of people.

As Heather points out they had this feature before and it was exceptionally useful as you could see a list of named places (usually a farm/cottage or similar rural location) in the parish and be able to work out that in one census it was "Back o'hill, Overton" and on the next census it was "Backhill, Overton", and in a third census just "Overtown croft". Searching for backhill would only return the results from one census as the address despite it being the same building with the same family resident over 55 years covering 5 different census was recorded marginally differently each time.

12. Bob Spiers

Thanks Alexander I follow all that and it has brought back memories of using the old concept 'address' search myself. As I recall it was temperamental and need precise parish details to be useful and required some trial and error searching. However I recall once finding a whole family group living in Birmingham Back-to-back houses from the merest hint of a road address and discovering the whereabouts of an old Yard in Worcester that changed its name through different Censuses. I had actually forgotten the existence of the search until it was recalled by Heather's posting and your own input. Let's hope it still exists or we can get in back but the trouble is so called improvements often mean the abandonment of old style searches. It happened in Ancestry as we all know.

13. Heather

Alexander and Bob, thanks so much for your imput into this problem.

Bob, I have tried several ways to find the address search that was included in the old FMP site, but to no avail, I have contacted FMP but have not received an answer yet. Thank you for offering to pass on my details to them, but I have no details to pass on, as such, apart from, I just want the old search facility on FMP restored.

Alexander, yes that is what I mean

Bob, yes it was a bit temperamental, but a very handy tool, if one could navigate through it.

So it seems we are all now "on the same page" as they say, but not on the page that at FMP could help us find pages of addresses !!!! :confused: Oh well maybe FMP will listen and restore it, who knows? :D

14. Heather

I thought it was strange that I had not received a reply from FMP re: my address search query so I had another look in my email box and yes you guessed it I had deleted it by mistake. It was similar wording to the reply you received Bob, here is a copy of my reply to them........................

Hi Sophie, thanks for your reply, I tried the links but the data entered into the search fields does not give me what I am looking for. If I enter "Over Darwen" in the parish field and "Lancashire" in the county field and then "search" I get a list of every person's name on the census that lived in Over Darwen at that time, that is not what I want, I want a list of streets, lanes, roads etc in Over Darwen at that time, then if I chose one particular street, a list of house numbers would be shown, which I could trawl through to find the family I was searching for, which is what the old FMP search gave me, please can you restore this type of search, it was very useful finding obscure addresses for the same property that changed from one census to the next. Thanks Heather

I will let you know what happens, but I am not holding my breath.

15. Bob Spiers

Hi Heather, Received my own reply (from Sophie also) to my follow up query (largely as Alexander posted) and guess what her answer confirms ..This option is still available on the 1911 and 1901 censuses on the site. She then gives a link to each which takes you to each Census (via the A-Z Record Sets) and tells you to select Address search.

She appears to have ignored what I mentioned about locating Streets as previous address searches allowed (which I see you also raised in greater detail from your email extract) and goes on to add: ...We hope to add this feature to the rest of the censuses but we do not have a time-scale for this I'm afraid. Even here I believe she just means the same as now for 1901 & 1911.

I think the loss of the old form of searching may well be something to do with its recent merger of databases and clearly the old FMP lost out, but perhaps Peter can explain that better than I.

16. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The address search system at the old site wasn't great, because it was separated from the name search. Overall the new system is much better because you can type in different levels of information, and combine address information with personal information - with the old system, if you suspected that your ancestor's entry had been grossly mistranscribed, but knew which street they lived in, you might have to search through hundreds of households to find the one you want.

The new system allows me to combine the information I have in different ways: for example, if I go to the 1911 Census and search for '28 Maud Road' my great-grandfather and his family are the only search results (clearly Maud was not a popular name for a street in 1911). If I enter just 'Maud Road' I get 609 results - everyone in the street - but I can filter them down to the ones I'm interested in by adding personal data, such as a name or age.

I'm sure there will be some circumstances in which the old-style search may have worked better, but for most people, most of the time, the new search should prove much easier to use and more reliable.

17. Alexander Bisset

Sorry Peter I totally disagree the old address search gave something that is entirely missing now. In that respect the new search is missing a major feature. Thus it is not much better. It is better at finding PEOPLE it is NOT better at finding ADDRESSES. This is the point that FMP staff and strangely, from what I infer from your comments, yourself seem to miss entirely.

The old address search which gave addresses as results was excellent precisely BECAUSE "it was separated from the name search". It was used because we specifically wanted to find how a place name had been indexed and by scanning a list of places in a parish/town/area we could find the way the place name had been recorded then do a people search and enter the, usually mis-spelt, place name and find the people that were being looked for. The WHOLE POINT of the address search was to find addresses where YOU DID NOT KNOW how the address had been recorded. The new search as your example clearly demonstrates requires you to KNOW the address.

So if your great grandfather's address had been mis-transcribed as say Mood Street. Then you wouldn't find him at all by using Maud Street. If instead you were able to search by address you would find Mood Street listed and you would realise that was probably Maud Street mis-transcribed.

So the point you and the people at FMP seem to have missed entirely is that we specifically want to search FOR and address not BY an address. The result set should be a list of addresses NOT a list of people at those addresses that is the critical difference ie:what the results returned are.

Perhaps Peter you can help us get the point over to FMP as our explanations seem to have confused you as well so there must be something fundamental in how we are expressing ourselves that isn't clear. I thought the point that the results should be a list of ADDRESSES not PEOPLE couldn't have been cleared but I'm obviously mistaken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Heather

Thank you Alexander, that is exactly what I meant when I started this post, you have explained the problem very well, I used the old search quite a few times and I really miss it, but no matter how I explain it to FMP they do not understand the problem. It's the old addage I suppose " If it ain't broke don't fix it"

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Actually it was broken and did need to be fixed - at the old Findmypast site the address search didn't seem to work at all for Scotland.
    Most Findmypast users are researching their family, not buildings. If they're looking for an address it's usually because they can't find their relatives when they search by name, so they want to check the address where they used to live.
    It is quite unusual that an address has been mistranscribed - mainly because street names typically appear multiple times, but perhaps also because transcribers were provided with a list of street names for cities (ie the ones we used to look up in the Family Records Centre).

Some people following this discussion may not realise that there are TWO ways of searching the 1901 and 1911 censuses by address at the new Findmypast site. One is to click the Address tab - this returns a list of streets which match your search criteria, which is similar to the old site. For example, if I enter 'High Street' I get a list of over 3300 High Streets across the land; if I enter Brentford I get a list of over 1400 streets in Brentford registration district. Combine the two and I get just 21 results, of which the first is High Street, Acton.

I can then click on Addresses to see a list of 166 addresses in Acton High Street. For example, I can see that The Six Bells was at 211, and the Railway Tavern was at 1-3. Also listed are properties which didn't have a number, such as West Lodge, The Red Lion, and The Pine Apple. This pretty much emulates what the Address search did at the old Findmypast site, and it has the same key disadvantages - you can't specify a precise address (eg '22 High Street') and you don't see any information on the inhabitants until you click through to the transcription. So if I was looking for someone in Acton High Street whose precise address I didn't know I'd have to look at all 166 transcriptions to confirm that they weren't listed in the census.

In practice I'm more interested in finding people than places - an address is just another way of finding someone whose name has been misrepresented in some way - so I usually click the Person tab when I want to search the 1911 Census by address (the 1901 census works differently at the moment - I believe the 1911 version is the model for other censuses, though). This way the results I get are people, not places, and if I do know the precise address I can enter it - which I can't do when I use the more limited Search form offered by the Address tab.

Anyone who wants to comment on Findmypast features can do so on their Feedback Forum, now called the Ideas Board (you'll find it under the Help tab).

20. Alexander Bisset

Scottish searches is all I ever used it for, ie: the address search that returned addresses not people as results found many a farm name in Scotland that was spelt differently in different census entries. I only ever used it to search Scottish parishes. So it did indeed work for Scotland.

Agreed people aren't likely to be researching buildings but that's not the point is it? The point it that it is extremely common for rural buildings, especially farms and cottages to be recorded differently from one census to another. I've had "Backhill of Overton", "Overton Back 'O Hill" and just "Backhill" as different records for the same place.

I cannot understand why you think having an ALTERNATE method of searching is a disadvantage. Surely if someone cannot find a person by regular means eg: the name is badly indexed and so fails to be found in searches, then having an alternate means even though it is tedious to use is better than nothing. In practice it mimics trawling through microfiche looking for entries. Not ideal but surely better than nothing, and by no conceivable means a disadvantage.

Of course you are but there really is no need to be so stick in the mud about the fact that many of us would welcome an alternative. To be blunt WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR PLACES, we are looking for people and we miss the alternate method of finding them. in the various census entries as you used to be able to do To suggest otherwise is to completely mis-represent or totally mis-understand our points. Which is precisely what FMP are doing.

However as has been said time and time again by people in this thread FMP aren't listening they are making the same mistake as yourself and talking about searching for people which misses the point entirely. To your credit you do point out the alternative for the later census thanks.

Last edited: May 15, 2015