1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Access to England & Wales BMD Registers

Discussion in 'England & Wales BMD registers' started by Heather, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

It is great news that Baroness Scott has got things moving on this subject and that the GRO will be forced to bring forward more access to these records. As Peter says some people will be concentrating on the price of obtaining this information and fair enough as the price is far too high. Others will just be glad that the information will be more readily available (we hope)!! Being able to search other than just by the name of the person concerned would be very useful and as Peter has suggested:-------

- searching the birth registers by address
    - searching the marriage registers by the names of the witnesses
    - searching the death registers by the name of the informant

would be a great improvement. Hopefully the GRO will ask what the genealogical family would prefer, so lets give them some ideas as Peter suggests.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

There's also the question of charging for search results, as they do at ScotlandsPeople. The downside is having to pay -the upside is more complex searches and more informative results.

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I mentioned that Peter in my Scotlands People section, its usually the difference between pay per view and subscription. Most pay per view sites either charge you for searching or tell you its found results and gives tantalising details but require payment for seeing the full results. Some are of course free to search but pay to see details of results.

Subscription sites are good where you can justify the full cost of the subscription, I've only 1 in 32 of my Ancestors from England so would struggle to justify a subscription just as many researching English ancestors with a couple of Scots would struggle to justify a subscription if one was offer by Scotlands People. So a pay per view is no necessarily a bad thing, however having the OPTION of a subscription would be very useful.

4. Alexander Bisset

You would want to make absolutely sure they not only allow searching by County but across multiple counties. A really useful feature of a search would be being able to select a group of counties to search on eg: Devon/Cornwall (for ancestors who strayed over the Tamar into England). Hereford/Worcestershire/Glocestershire for instance.

Similarly being able to pick a group of parishes to search on would be useful. Scotland's People does this for example you can limit to the county then pick up to 5 parishes within a county. Note English parishes tend to be smaller than Scottish ones so you might want to be able to pick more than 5.

Ideally you'd want to pick an area on a map and have the search limited to the parishes within a rectangle you draw on the map. This is far more interactive but really useful.

Similarly viewing results on a map would be entirely feasible and is common on many sites these days. eg: I was just looking at booking a hotel for a week away and the site allowed searching by map and viewing the results on a map. My key point is here, that the raw data will contain the parish, registration district, county info. It is therefore trivial for the extra step to show these on a map to be implemented.

Imagine searching for person X's birth in Hereford/Worcestershire/Glocestershire and getting back a map showing the parishes highlighted where a birth existed for those search criteria. So much more informative than just a list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Search using registration/reference number only would be very useful.
    Search using wildcards, will hopefully be available, with wildcards functional in any/all fields.
    I find being able to order search results by registration number or surname or first name is also helpful. Ordering results by any field would be great.

6. peter

It's very unlikely that we'll be able to buy a subscription offering unlimited use. Wonderful if we could, but it would be a big gamble for the government. It's only likely to happen if the service is contracted out to a company like Ancestry or Findmypast which is prepared to guarantee a minimum return to the government.

That's why we need to consider carefully the pros and cons - for us - of paid search results. Most people would instinctively say that they don't want to pay for search results but I think we need to consider how it might work in our favour.

7. peter

What you mean by registration/reference number?

8. Alexander Bisset

Given we've just had the first majority Conservative government for 23 years returned I think it is inconceivable that they would sanction anything other than contracting out the service. Even the left leaning Scottish Governments over the years have contracted out the Scotland's People service. To be honest though given the lack of controls common with Government IT projects this is probably a really good thing.

If we take contracting out as a given then we should look at what checks and balances ought to be recommended. eg: available from multiple sources? Is it conceivable that they might want to retain control over the database but put out to tender the provision of the data services?

9. Alexander Bisset

Also worth considering is the issue of data protection. What levels of information should be revealed? The indexes currently give info up to almost modern day if memory serves. In Scotland there is a rule whereby images of births are restricted to 100 years closure, images of marriages restricted to 75 year closure and images of death restricted to 50 years closure. You can still search and view indexes for up to date records but you can't see the images for "closed" periods.

These limits seem an appropriate model to follow and would likely address privacy concerns. I'd be careful to ensure that recommendations didn't then remove information that is currently available. ie: indexes shouldn't then be closed for these periods thus losing existing info.

10. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

For BDM records in NZ,
    "The registration number is a unique number allocated to each record when the registers were scanned."
    Having done a search, the reference number can be noted and specified if that record is to be requested again.

I suspect that something similar holds true for records in Australia too.

11. Alexander Bisset

And would need to be true when English & Welsh records are all scanned.

12. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

In NZ, the government web site states that . . .
    "The Births, Deaths, Marriages and Relationships Registration Amendment Act 1995 allows the Register-General to make historical information available. Historical records are defined as:

1. Births that occurred at least 100 years ago
    2. Stillbirths that occurred at least 50 years ago
    3. Marriages that occurred at least 80 years ago
    4. Deaths that occurred at least 50 years ago or the deceased's date of birth was at least 80 years ago.
    The records available are added to daily."

This can be a pain when trying to check for living relatives. Not even the index information is available until the appropriate anniversary date is reached.

13. Alexander Bisset

In Scotland records are available with new images released at New Year rather than every day. This does cause a glut of searches at New Year rather than a steady flow which evens out demand and seems like a technically more logical way that would put less stress on the servers. I'd imagine this would be a point worth putting as an annual release of English records would cause huge spikes in demand. So NZ has a far better practice here that would be worth suggesting.

The point about index info was one I was concerned about, ie: that existing publicly records shouldn't then get hidden by a change in rules for images.

14. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Sorry Peter, Australia uses registration/reference numbers depending on state or territory. I suppose the equivalent would be GRO Index number.

In NSW the reg/ref number relates directly to the number of the original document.

Availability also varies in AUS from state to state. In NSW is Births over 100 years ago, Deaths over 30 years ago, Marriages over 50 years ago.
    Online records in NSW are now updated daily rather than annually which is far better for researchers &, I'm told by staff, far better technically.
    Unfortunately we can't search and view indexes for up to date records as can be done on Scotlandspeople.
    It is a feature that would be great to have available & one that I think would be good to push for with GRO.

15. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

If you have the registration number for a certificate you can often bypass any charges for searches - for example Victoria charges .99 cents a page to search the BDM index but you can bypass that by finding out the number and requesting the specific certificate/image ("Image" is the scan of the page of the registration book and is a lot cheaper than purchasing a certificate.) - the indexes are available on FindMyPast and Ancestry, although Ancestry has an Australia wide index and Find My Past doesn't have all the states, so you wouldn't be able to know if the registration numbers match for when ordering from the states.

As far as I know, Victoria is the only state currently charging for searching their database, and conversely, the cost of an image is cheaper than NSW or WA. QLD is the best at the moment, free to search and the cheaper than Victoria to buy the image. (I checked: NSW $31; WA $31; Vic $21 & QLD $20) South Australia is also free to search their BDMs, but only provide an actual certificate or a transcription through the South Australian Genealogy and Heraldry Society at $22 ($14.30 if you're a member of the society).

I've ordered from Victoria, NSW, QLD and South Australia (such a far reaching family I have) and by far QLD is the easiest. NSW is the slowest, since you need to order an image and it can take a couple of weeks or a month for them to send you the PDF. Victoria, QLD and SA just let you download the image immediately, although it's not as easily accessed as ScotlandsPeople, they're usually all PDFs and if you don't download them then and there, you will have to re-purchase them again later.

16. peter

That's not the sort of arrangement I was thinking of. Although ScotlandsPeople has since it's inception been operated by Scotland Online, later known as BrightSolid, and now as DC Thomson Family History, the Scottish government sets the charges and determines the charging structure - as I understand it the contractors are merely providing IT services.

What I was envisaging was a situation where Findmypast and Ancestry would be invited to bid for the exclusive rights to sell the historical GRO data, and would be expected to guarantee a minimum level of income for the GRO. For either company it would be a sure fire way of attracting more subscribers.

17. peter

We already have the indexes, and that's how we generally place orders at the moment.

There are several numbers on copy certificates but they are largely irrelevant: one is the Application number, one is a serial number for security purposes - neither of these are of any interest since they don't come the original records. The only reference that is recorded in the register is the number shown in the first column, which is the sequential number within the register. Since the numbers start at 1 in each new register I don't think they are likely to help in a search.

18. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Surely then the Index numbers currently used to place an order would be the number used in a search, would they not?

19. VTinOZ

VTinOZ Member

Have you used the Transcription Agents services in NSW? They sometimes still take a few weeks depending on how busy they are, at least the costs are lower & the information includes all that is shown on the original document.

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  20. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Yeah I've seen them, but I don't have a massive amount of family in NSW, so I was happy enough using the other service. (Plus I like having the image of the actual register, which is one of my quirks). If I had more family in NSW, I probably would use the subscription agency.