1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Abbreviation at Cambridge University Alumni

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Gillian, May 25, 2016.

1. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Could someone please confirm for me that the 2. S. in the following means 'second son'. It's essential I get this right. And if it doesn't mean second son, then what does it mean?
    upload_2016-5-25_10-59-22.png

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Gillian,

Looking further down (on the Matric line) you can see it says 1715-6 which looks like years. So is that also a year in the bit you circled? 1711-2?

I quote "in the period between 1582 and 1752, businesses in countries still using the Julian calendar might date their records "February 14, 1714/15", which signaled they were using a Julian calendar, and thus the Gregorian date could be calculated as February 25, 1715."

I believe it's called double dating.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

What a disappointment; I wanted it to mean 2nd son so much that I had blinded myself to the obvious. I'm sure you're right, particularly, as you suggest, looking at the following dates 1715-6 and 1716-7. What a good thing I asked.

4. Tim

It never hurts to ask :)

5. Tony

Tony LostCousins Member

As well as being name-searchable on Ancestry, Alumni Cantabrigienses is available online from Cambridge University itself as A Cambridge Alumni Database. There are some notes accompanying that database project, which include this: "No attempt is made to modernise dates, so 1584–5 may mean either the range of years 1584 to 1585, or part of the old-style year from 1 January to 24 March 1585". However, the database output includes an "Enhanced version of original printed entry", in which date ranges and double-dating are written differently (- or /). Reading your entry there might help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016
  6. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Actually it does hurt - just a little. But never mind, the main thing is I have the right answer.

7. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thank you, Tony. However ... I clicked on the link you give but it timed out (that would have been via Firefox). So then I tried via Chrome and although something opened, it wasn't very helpful as the first sentence was "The requested URL /banner.html was not found on this server." Then followed a short introduction to Venn, ending up with the ominous words
    At present, the whole system is experimental. Data may alter or disappear without notice. We can accept no responsibility for your use of the system or the data contained here. So then I googled 'alumni cantabrigienses' and got to the correct place, the search form, straight away; try here. I don't know why your link didn't take me there. Anyhow I found my William Pemble (5xgreat-granduncle) and there the dates were written only too clearly, on two separate lines. :
    Adm. pens. (age 18) at ST JOHN'S, 04 Mar., 1711/2.
    S. of William, gent. B. at Shoreditch, Middlesex .
    So, once again, thank you very much, Tony. I'm glad to have the direct link to Alumni etc, for other relatives as well, e.g. my grandfather, who was at the same college, St John's, 150 years after William P. (his 3xgreat-granduncle).

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016
  8. Tim

I've corrected the the web address in all locations.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  9. Tony

Tony LostCousins Member

For completeness, Gillian, a scanned copy of the original book containing your entry, Part 1 Volume 3, is available at Archive.org.

10. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Better and better. Once again, many thanks, Tony.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1