1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

A three fold coincidence

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I am used to making contacts and least of these is via Lost Cousins, although a very recent one via LC happened to coincide -in the same week - with two others both via MyH and both DNA matches. As many will know I am not a member of MyH but clearly others are and in this instance I am glad they are.

Each contact revolves around my 'Slynn' family line, a connection (for me) by marriage and quite remote, or at least it was. The combined weight of contact information however has now caused me to further research the line .

I think the biggest surprise came when opening the second MyH contact and discovering the same names as the one received a couple of days earlier -yet in a different order and context. They knew of each other but not that they had made separate contact. I was also pleased when my new LC contact -after message swapping - noted a 'Slynn' in my line as the brother of one in her line. My own prior research did not include the brother, so very useful information.

A quite separate coincidence was that the 1881 Census transcribed 'Slynn' as 'Flynn' (in both Ancestry & FMP). So, as my major Irish connection line is 'Flynn' my first thought was it likely related to my Flynn line - who wouldn't? It wasn't until I viewed the Census original, that I realised a capital 'S' had been mis-read for an 'F'. Then I spotted the error had already been advised to Ancestry.

But all in all 3 contacts each quite independently revolving around my Slynn line - so quite a tonic! (Get it ...Gin with Slimline tonic):p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2022