1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

A rose by any other name….

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Pauline, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Following the mention of John Paton Laurie in this article in the newsletter, I thought it might be worth mentioning that there is a photo of him in uniform on the Lives of the First World War website.

He was invalided out of the HAC at some stage following a bad bout of flu and returned to England for the remainder of the war. A relative by marriage of my husband ("Aunt J") was a YMCA volunteer in France from 1915-18, and was instrumental in getting him transferred to hospital until he could be repatriated. They kept in touch, which is how we now have the photo.

Maybe Aunt J also met Peter's grandfather at around the same time.