1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1939 Register

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Emmyw, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Emmyw

Emmyw LostCousins Member

Apologies if this discussion has already been covered. I am curious to know why so many dead people are still locked on the 1939 Register. I would have thought that there would be some sort of automatic unlocking for births say up until 1900?? I am trying to do a little preparation before I get myself a one month sub to look up the register, but I am finding that I have people born in the 1860's who are locked, for example.
    Regards
    Emmyw

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Emmy,

I'd be surprised if someone born in 1860 was locked in 1939. It would make them nearly 80.

Do you have some names we could look at?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Emmyw

Emmyw LostCousins Member

Hi Tim

The following are some of the entries I have copied, and the message I get:

Hopkins Edward 1866 1939 Register Newbury M.B., Berkshire, England
    Cameron David A 1876 1939 Register Coulsdon and Purley U.D., Surrey, England
    Hopkins Jane 1881 1939 Register Banstead U.D., Surrey
    Breach Florence A 1895 1939 Register Bradfield R.D., Berkshire
    Baster Charles 1908 1939 Register Edmonton M.B., Middlesex, England
    Bell Peter 1913 1939 Register St Pancras, London, England

Unlock this household
    The records for all the people in this household are officially closed, as everyone is either still alive, or not confirmed to have died.
    If you believe you have evidence to the contrary, please help and make a request to update the record.

This is different to the norm where presumably some of the household is unlocked, such as this one

Teal Household
    Highworth R.D., Wiltshire, Eng
    FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) YEAR OF BIRTH
    Elsie E Wyatt (Teal) -
    Thomas W ? Teal is also on this record
    1 more person who is officially closed

Thank you for your help.
    Emmy

4. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Emmy,

Just had a quick look at David Cameron and Elsie Teal - both are shown fully on the transcriptions/images. Unfortunately, there is an ink spill with the Teals, but it is just possible to see the data.

There is one hidden entry for the Teals (child?) and David Cameron is in a hospital, so probably the only relevant person for you.

Phil

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Emmy, apart from the first name in your list (Edward Hopkins - a Shepherd) and the last (Peter Bell - a Policeman) the others all appear to be hospital patients but NONE show as locked (i.e. redacted), which I thought was the point you were making? As PhilGee says, they are shown fully in both transcription and original image.

Perhaps I have misunderstood or is it just as simple as you being denied the information because you have yet to take out a Sub?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Edward Hopkins is also a patient in Newbury District Hospital.

I think Emmy the bit you've missed here is that this is not their home and other unrelated people have been redacted due to their age.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

8. Emmyw

Emmyw LostCousins Member

Thank you to everybody for all of your help while I was blissfully in the land of nod!! I am definitely getting the picture, and looking forward to getting a sub soon - sorry I didn't think to look at the 1939 Newsletter before.