1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1939 Register - New openings

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by emjay, Nov 19, 2016.

1. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Lots of previously redacted folks revealed. A good idea to revisit households, I was surprised to find my grandparents household all revealed, including an uncle (b.1918) who died in New Zealand 1984.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 4
    • Good tip Good tip x 1
  2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Another thing I found somewhat surprising, was a page with no redacted entries. Quite a change from the 'bar-code' appearance of the downloaded images I have when viewed in the thumb-nail format.

3. Andrea

Andrea LostCousins Member

Unfortunately, I have not had a good experience with the 1939 as far as my father is concerned. With a birth less than 100 years ago, and a death in New Zealand (so not recorded in England) I patiently waited for his 100th birthday to roll around. This happened on 2 December 2016. But to date, no open record on the 1939. FmP initially told me it takes some time (weeks) for records to be opened, but have now changed their tune and decided I need to prove the death!

Anyone else had similar issues?

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2016
  4. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Andrea, I would contact fmp again, firmly pointing out the 100 year rule. Also check the record again, you never know....

5. Andrea

Andrea LostCousins Member

Thanks for the comment emjay. Unfortunately, the "help desk" staffer responding to my requests was not at all interested in the 100 year rule, or FmP's own stated policy, but simply reiterated (at least five times) that I needed to provide a death certificate to prove dad's death. A day or so ago, the chain of emails must have been either seen by or bumped up to a more knowledgeable staffer, who indicated that it can take up to six weeks for 100+ year entries to be updated and uploaded. So I'll keep checking.
    Regards
    Andrea

6. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

That really rang a bell, but sorry nothing to do with FMP but it relates to something similar with Amazon when I tried to remind I was still owed reimbursement of postage for a returned 'defective' item. I went over it time after time and met with a standard 'Front-Desk' response that it was an option only when a returned item was defective...to which time and time again I replied it was! This went nowhere until a couple of days later I received an email saying the matter had been 'uplifted' and was now advised that a refund of postage would be credited to my account with 3 working days. It was actually there half an hour after receiving the email.

7. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Last year I ordered a garden gnome from Amazon in ample time for my godson's birthday (in England). Birthday came and went but no thank you letter, which was unusual because said godson is very good at t.y. letters. I asked his mother if the gnome had arrived; apparently it hadn't. So I ordered the same gnome from another company, who delivered almost immediately (at half the price incidentally), and wrote to Amazon complaining about their non-delivery and cancelling the order, money back please. They were suitably abject about the non-delivery and gave me my money back without a murmur. Several weeks later, I got yet another t.y. letter from a very amused godson telling me the first gnome had now arrived and had joined the first one standing watch over his goldfish pond. I suppose I should feel guilty that I didn't even tell Amazon that the gnome had finally arrived.

8. Bob Spiers

I have just notice my 'Star' has fallen, I believe this happened before, and will contact Peter to find out why.:(

9. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Never mind, Bob, just click here.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

It did happen before, and to me - see this thread

I don't know if it is something similar this time.

11. Bob Spiers

Thanks Pauline, and yes that brought it all back, and no doubt Peter will sort it out as he did before.

PS just after I typed my reply, Peter communicated that I had likely changed the coupon code in much the same way as he advised not to before (unless higher alphabetically than the previous). I don't recall doing so but I could have done. With my 'star' returned I nipped in quick with an Edit.;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016