1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  4. Coronavirus Corner - a place to share your hopes, dreams, and frustrations.
  5. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

1921 census

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by webwiz, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Last year I paid £151.05 and to renew this year in October they are listing £159.99 paying from Canada . It's mainly worth it for the continuing additions to the Newspaper Archives and my WWI and WWII research.

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I've just been taking advantage of the 50% discount to download some more images from the 1921 census (using the Lost Cousins link). I found my husband's grandmother as a live-in servant, her age being given as 14 years 3 months. She was actually 13 years 10 months at the time of the census, and thus probably should have been at school, as I understand the school leaving age was raised to 14 in 1918. I wonder if her employer added a few months to her age so as not to be seen to be employing an under-age girl. Or perhaps her mother had told the employer she was a few months older than she was. Her mother was a working widow, so presumably it was convenient for her daughter to leave school early and go into service.

3. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

My great aunt was housekeeper to a man whose forenames are transcribed as Mary Frank, but the image is clearly Harry Frank. I have reported the transcription error by email without purchasing the transcript (as previously mentioned by Pauline).

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It certainly happened a lot in the 19th century, although then it was usually a ploy to get a higher rate of pay.

5. peter

The price for new subscribers is now £179.99, and the Loyalty Discount is still 15%, so I would expect you to be charged £155.99

6. peter

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1