1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1881 Scotland

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Kate, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hello, sorry if this has been answered and I haven't seen it but I hope to enter someone from the Scotland 1881 census. The LC page asks for volume, enumeration and page numbers. I have the enumeration number, registration, schedule and line. Is the required information only on the image as Ancestry does not have the image? Thank you.

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Have you followed the link to the FAQ, just above the form on the ‘Add an Ancestor’ page?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

If you're using Ancestry, the transcription of an entry for the Scotland 1881 census is confusing. Registration no., ED and Line are given but not Page. If you click on the button at the top which says Source, next to the Detail button for the transcription, you then get the Source citation which includes the Page.

4. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Thank you Pauline and Susan, I will look at those.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

This is correct, but only duplicates what is written in the FAQ that Pauline drew attention to. Always follow the advice on the Add Ancestor form and if it links to an FAQ read that as well!

Tip: ScotlandsPeople is the recommended source for this census - it is the only site that has the LDS version (which is free).

6. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

When you've added an ancestor from the Scotland 1881 census and click on the arrow by the entry that takes you to the Ancestry transcription, you still have to click on the Source button to get the full citation which includes the page. I was flummoxed until I realised this. Earlier Ancestry transcriptions of this census included the full source citation without having to make an extra click to get it.