1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1841 Census - I can find this family on Ancestry but not on FMP

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Sandra4, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Sandra4

Sandra4 LostCousins Member

I need to find this entry on FMP in order to enter the family on Lost Cousins
    William Barton 20
    Eliza Barton 20
    Emma Barton 2
    Clara 5 mths
    Piece 1149 Book 3 Folio 25 page 3 Birmingham
    Reg district Aston, sub district Duddeston Nechells
    Details taken from handwritten 1841 census on Ancestry

I have used various different criteria search on FMP but just cannot find this family on 1841 FMP census.
    Entering the piece, book, folio, page numbers produces nil results.
    What am I doing wrong ?
    Any guidance much appreciated
    Sandra

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Sandra,

I found it straight way by just using Piece 1149 Book 3 Folio 25 page 3

They've been transcribed as Bacton, but don't tell Bob ;)

Sometimes less info gets more results.

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  3. Sandra4

Sandra4 LostCousins Member

Many thanks for this
    Sandra

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2021
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

For future reference, no you don't.

5. That's a cryptic message if ever I saw one. I know what you mean because it's in the instructions but does Sandra know why you said that?

6. peter

It might be brief and succinct, but cryptic? Surely there is only one possible meaning in the circumstances?

7. 'No you don't' without giving a reason is cryptic in my book. :D

8. peter

Sandra didn't give a reason why she needed to find the entry at Findmypast. Was her post also cryptic?

9. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Well well a mis-transcription, how rare. Which reminds (as you knew it would) I am messaging back and forth with an elderly gentleman (more elderly than myself) who cannot understand why the Alice Slynn he seeks cannot be found, although he admits he came across an Alice Slin that fitted. When I said they were one and the same (after checking of course) he really could not see how ANYONE COULD GET IT WRONG. How does one answer that?

10. Like I would, with stifled but raucous laughter.
    There's nought queerer than folk.

11. peter

I'd have explained that spelling wasn't considered important prior to the 19th century, and that spelling of names continued to vary up to the early 20th century.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I said something similar, explaining Clerks/Moderators writing what they heard -coping with his "couldn't the family be asked how to spell the name" - and learned she was the the Alice Slynn who had married a remote Spiers ancestor. But the person he really wanted to trace was her daughter Alice Spiers . He could only find an Alice Veronica Spiers with an RC baptism and said althought the date tallied (c1908), it could not be the right Alice because she had no middle name; was not Catholic...and to top it all her mother had been shown as 'Slin'

Now I have to admit up front that as the lady in question was shown in my Tribal Pages with the full name Alice Veronica Spiers all I had to do was refresh my memory, check my Ancestry Tree and provide my answer which went thus.

I confirmed her RC baptism and told him that some of my Spiers clan - and especially some who married into it - came from RC backgrounds - even if not practising members. I reminded I had a RC paternal grandmother of Irish descent, but my grandfather would not accept the faith and apart from their first child who was baptised RC neither he or his siblings were brought up as Catholics. In fact their first child -my Uncle Harry - was additionally baptised C of E and often boasted he was covered both ways.;)

I reminded also that had he been able to access my Ancestry Tree (he only subscribed to MyHeritage) he would have found her shown with her full name (and there were at least 3 other Trees all of whom I knew to be bona fide) showing her as such.

I explained that the most likely explanation for the middle name was to comply with RC church practice to have at least one baptismal name as that of a Saint. I told him there was indeed a Saint Veronica venerated by the RC church. The parents would go along with this and if they so chose (and they obviously did) could go their own way afterwards, as could Alice as an adult. This would explain the 1911 Census and a later marriage record without a middle name.

In the end he thanked me and said he was now happy he was on the right track and we exchanged pleasantries, like each of us was getting our second jab. There's more to life than genealogical mysteries.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  13. peter

The names of the sponsors (godparents) can also be clues to the identity of the child. (Unfortunately they're rarely shown in CofE baptism registers.)