1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

14sep newsletter, where in Europe was the photo taken

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by GailP, Sep 14, 2020.

1. GailP

GailP New Member

I hope I am posting this in the right place, I know exactly where the photo was taken, I have been there many times, but as I am first to comment I won’t spoil it yet for others who want to guess

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I hope we won't have to wait too long to get the right answer.

3. MeganN

MeganN LostCousins Member

If one resorts to Google reverse image search, there's no guessing required. Unlike GailP I have not yet been to this place but hope to do so. I have an ancestor, Roger Clopton who was rector of Downham, Cambridgeshire. His will, probated in 1676, bequeathed £200 (a substantial amount at that time) for charitable and pious use to be disposed at the discretion of the Lord Bishop of this cathedral. The money was used to tile the nave and I understand that there is a plaque in the cathedral to this effect.
    I look forward to seeing this one day but that will have to be post Covid-19. Currently we Australians can only travel internationally with special permission. Getting a flight to return is very difficult and there's mandatory quarantine on arrival. None of which any sensible person here can disagree with.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Thank you! I have now learnt a new skill.

I haven't been there either, but it's on my list - particularly since some of my ancestors lived in that area, although most of them were non-conformist.

5. arabella1

arabella1 LostCousins Member

I recognise it too as I am interested in architecture and I have visited once or twice.

6. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I agree with Jorghes. As well as getting the answer, I'm delighted to learn a new skill. But what happened to the very first reply, posted by ???, giving the actual name of the cathedral?

7. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Likewise! What a useful feature of google.

I have been there, but many years ago and I'd forgotten what it looked like on the outside.

8. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Yes, I was surprised to hear this last week from my son (British) and his partner (Australian) in NSW. And I know foreigners are not allowed to enter Australia. As you say, these restrictions are a sensible precaution, but it has caused some problems. My son's colleague was away in his native Czechia when the pandemic struck and hasn't been able to return to Australia since, so has been 'working from home' on the other side of the world for the past 6 months. My son normally travels to Europe twice a year but of course can't leave Australia as he wouldn't be allowed back in (and I gather flights are extremely expensive if you can get them at all). I understand travel between states is also restricted. I think he feels a bit trapped as he's used to travelling around a lot, but will just have to sit it out.

9. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Indeed correct - Australian citizens are actually barred from leaving the country unless you have been working OS for a long period of time - my brother works overseas and is currently stuck in Australia and can't get back at this point.

Us poor Melbourians aren't just stuck in the state (the state borders are closed), but we're also stuck in the city - we're not allowed to breach the "ring of steel" which stops those who live in the city from visiting the rural area!

10. MeganN

It seems no-one has yet given the actual name of Peter's mystery place. The first poster, GailP, held back so that others could have fun figuring it out.

Apologies for waylaying the thread with Covid in Oz. But briefly, the remarks above are correct and many are affected by the border closures. I'm in Sydney where we have presently escaped the second wave that hit Melbourne. We've been lucky but are meanwhile very conscious that it only takes a few slip ups for it to be otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2020
  11. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I removed it so that everyone could take part. Not everyone has had a chance to read to read the newsletter yet - my emails are still going out.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  12. GailP

GailP New Member

That’s why I didn’t name it Peter. I think it is an impressive place, it can be seen for miles around and I wonder how impressive it must have looked to people travelling there when it was first built and the landscape was a bit different than it is now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. peter

You didn't, but somebody else did - and that was the post Gillian was referring to.

14. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Which gives it its nickname ...

15. GailP

GailP New Member

Ha ha yes Susan!

16. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Thanks everyone - I have learnt a couple of things about google images and nicknames today.
    I knew I had seen this place recently on TV but could not remember where or what.
    Now I know - it was on one of Michael Portillo's rail journeys that was recently replayed on one of the TV channels that re runs old series.
    I have never visited, but I have seen it from a distance!

17. peter

Please note that if you post the answer to a puzzle using the Spoiler option it allows others to continue to enjoy the puzzle if they want to.

If you don't know how to user the Spoiler option and don't want to figure it out yourself, reveal the Spoiler below:

Click the icon to the left of the floppy disk, select Spoiler, and enter a title (if required)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  18. MeganN

Aha! Well I for one didn't know about that option. It's not readily apparent, at least to me, although with instruction I see that it's there. But I'm relatively new here. Have we been told about it previously? Perhaps I've missed an introduction to etiquette on the forum?
    Mind you, Peter's Spoiler telling us how to create a Spoiler has a clever touch of Gödel-Escher-Bach.