1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Freecen resource

Discussion in 'More Cornish resources' started by Tonycornish, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Tonycornish

Tonycornish LostCousins Member

I have found FreeCen a useful tool for checking census on ancestry when I am unable to find a family then use the census coding to search ancestry, also useful for checking transcriptions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Claims 100% coverage for Cornwall in 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891, with a 'mere' 98.8% in 1881. Probably the best coverage for an English county

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The census references at FreeCEN aren't always correct - something to bear in mind if you're planning to enter someone on your My Ancestors page.

You can also search the censuses free at FamilySearch (they use the findmypast transcriptions). You can only see the transcriptions for individuals, and it doesn't give the census references, but it does show the birthplace, which is information you don't get with a free search at the findmypast site.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1