1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Lancashire cotton workers in Russia

Discussion in 'Europe - More resources' started by HelenB, Aug 9, 2013.

1. HelenB

HelenB Member

Hi, Several of my Lancashire cotton worker ancesters from the mid 1800s show up on the census as born in Russia. I have read that when Russia set up its own cotton industry, they imported british skills and machinery. Does anyone know of any records available relating to these workers?

2. Tony

Tony LostCousins Member

The National Archives Discovery catalogue includes the GRO "Foreign Registers and Returns". For example, a search on "Russia" in catalogue reference RG33 gives several entries for "St. Petersburg: Births Baptisms Marriages Deaths Burials". My gg-grandfather Joseph Hargreaves died there (probably of cholera) on 8 June 1871 and his burial is listed in RG33/146; he was a Cotton Mill Fitter, born in Yorkshire, raised his large family in various places from Norfolk to Lancashire, but was probably working away from home without his family when he died.
    More generally, you can search on "Russia" in department reference RG and find lots of BMDB entries.

• Good tip Good tip x 1