1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Fan Trees

Discussion in 'Search tips - discussion' started by Tim, Oct 27, 2023.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

We've never discussed Fan Trees, They're a nice visual look and you can see what areas you haven't completed, but do you use it to solve questions such as the one mentioned by Peter?

Below is a chart showing not only who I've found in my tree, but also the ones with crosses are my X-DNA inheritance path.
    upload_2023-10-27_16-31-50.png

And below is my Y-DNA inheritance path
    upload_2023-10-27_16-34-58.png
    Can also show you by county
    upload_2023-10-27_16-42-0.png

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't thinking of X and Y-chromosomes, which are a rather niche topic, but autosomal DNA.

For example, the default fan tree - with the home person (usually the tree owner) at the centre uses colour to highlight the quarter of the tree that relates to each grandparent. But it doesn't have to be you (or me) at the centre, you can put any of your ancestors there - and that's why I though it might be helpful.

If the person in the centre is the person who is the Common Ancestor of you and a specific cousin, you can see at a glance the lines that you share with them. This might sound a trivial thing, but for me it could be quite helpful - since it's a reminder that I don't just share one or two ancestral lines with my cousins.

3. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

That colour coding is really interesting way of looking at a tree... I only wish mine only needed 4 colours...

That gives me something to do... *post pending adjustment for coloured fan chart.

4. Tim

I didn't add the colours, that's what is shown after loading your tree.

5. jorghes

Presumably with one of the DNA companies? I just haven't seen that particular type of display before.

6. Tim

It's not a DNA company, more like a DNA analysis site, but you don't have to have done a DNA test to use it, it's a very useful site.

7. jorghes

I would say that it's ironic that I was on that site last week for university work... but that might point out what I missed...

Trialling the WATO tool was very interesting given it's capabilities.

8. jorghes

Now having had a bit of fun with the fan tree options, here is mine by which country each of my ancestors were born (more work would be needed to identify the counties within the United Kingdom...).
    It does show an interesting mark of emigration however...
    [​IMG]

*If you're wondering why Bangladesh has a colour but does not appear on the tree, that's because it's my birth country...! (and no, not adopted.)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2