1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

My body to be buried.....

Discussion in 'Wills and probate' started by Pauline, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

It is not unusual for testators to give a brief mention in their will about their burial, if only to say something like "to be decently buried" or "at the discretion of my executors", but I was interested to come across the following in a 1722 PCC will:

"... and my Body to be buried the Evening after my decease amongst my Family as private as possible the Company not to exceed the Number of twenty persons and those of my own sex relations and intimate Friends whereof the Bearers and Clergy to have Rings of fifteen shillings each and Gloves and hatbands as the rest. Item to the Minister of the parish that burieth me one Guinea and five yards of black cloth for the pulpett and deske to read in the Church as usuall the Service for Burialls."

At least he was generous as well as particular.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 4
  2. John Dancy

John Dancy LostCousins Superstar

Where did they live? to be able to get access to an unknown number of 15/- rings, gloves hatbands etc within 24 hours? And an available clergyman?

3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

This was Wotton under Edge, Gloucestershire, so I would guess things like rings, gloves and hatbands would be fairly easy to source locally. If he was showing signs that he might soon die, maybe they made ready for it in advance.