1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FMP 20% Discount Help

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Julia, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Julia

Julia Member

Help!! I am so confused.
    Normally I let my 12-month Pro subscription auto renew, but noticed today after several years of being £101.19 it jumped to £119.99 on 1st Dec 2021 and is now set to renew at £179.99 on 1st Dec 2022. Absolutely no mention of a 15% loyalty discount.
    So today I logged out of FMP, clicked the link for a 20% discount in the newsletter and it says the Pro will cost me £143.99 with 20% discount applied. Great!
    But, when I logged in it reverted to £179.99 with no mention of discount.

What am I missing? Do I have to cancel my subscription to get the discount (loyalty or otherwise) each time?

I've never tried to do this before as the extra discount always come so close to my renewal date it's not seemed worth it, but £60 hike in subscription fee in the course of 1 year has got me looking to make savings if I can.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The Pro subscription hasn't gone up by £60 in the past year, it went up by £20 (the Plus subscription went up by £10 at the same time but is still cheaper than the equivalent subscription in 2009). If you paid less than £135.99 last year you were lucky; this year the renewal price (net of Loyalty Discount) is £152.99

You cannot renew Findmypast (or Ancestry) subscriptions in advance, so unless another offer is running at the time your subscription is due for renewal you'll have to settle for 15% Loyalty Discount. For some reason they don't show the Loyalty Discount ahead of time, but it is applied to renewals automatically.

3. Julia

Julia Member

Thanks Peter.
    Your response jogged my memory and I found an email from last year that said they were removing the Britain subscription I was on and had upgraded me to the Pro. The Britain subscription in my payment history had also been changed to Pro making me think that was what I'd been on all along. It seems they gave me a generous 25% discount at renewal which resulted in the £119.99 payment in 2021.
    The email went on to explain that from then on it will be billed at the standard discount rate of £135.99, but it sounds like that's now risen to £152.99.

So, if I choose to save a further £9 by taking part in the newsletter offer, will I need to cancel my current subscription first or would the 20% discount automatically be applied?

4. peter

if you are already on Pro you can't take advantage of the offer - as I said before, you can't renew early.

5. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

I was also a bit confused to receive an email from FMP today, starting with 'Dear Susan' and offering me a 20% discount with the words "Come back to Findmypast with 20% off when you resubscribe."

I wondered if I'd somehow unsubscribed by mistake, so I went to check and was reassured that my 'Premium' subscription is still active until June next year. I concluded that the email must have been sent to everyone, and not just people with lapsed subscriptions, perhaps in error?

Still a bit puzzled though, I came here this evening to see if it was just me. Evidently not.

6. LynSB

LynSB LostCousins Member

I had the same email today. My sub runs until Feb. I wondered if it was a scam email.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. peter

I got it as well - both to my account that has a subscription and the one that doesn't.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I had what was called Ultimate but did not renew when it came up last spring. When the 20% was offered last month I subscribed again but canceled the very next day when I saw my credit card had been charged a higher price than I paid in 2021 even with the 20% discount. I had also canceled my Ancestry subscription but did sign up again when I received a six-month special earlier this year. I know some of you are going strong even though older than the 81 I turned yesterday but I think a six-month membership at a time is the way I should go these days. And over $200 in Canadian $$ is more than I want to spend on FMP.

9. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Same here. Looks like FMP have just sent the same email to everyone - 'personalised' with their forename - regardless of whether they have a current subscription or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SueMay

SueMay LostCousins Member

My Pro subscription runs out on 23 Nov 2022 but will auto renew giving me the 15% discount. However, just to confirm, if I cancel the auto renew now and then click on your link on the 24th, I should then get the 25% discount?

11. peter

I don't see why not, though of course the offer is aimed at tempting new and lapsed subscribers, rather than existing subscribers.

12. SueMay

SueMay LostCousins Member

Thanks, although I guess it could be a risk. I worry that if I do cancel and then try signing on again, I may not get any discount at all. :)