1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Sherston Magna BTs

Discussion in 'Wiltshire' started by Pauline, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I am trying to make sense of the dates of some of the earliest BTs for Sherston Magna, which are digitised at Ancestry. The state of some of these gives the impression that delivery to the Bishop involved rolling the transcript into a ball and then throwing it at him!

In his marriage transcript, Phillimore notes that there are transcripts for 1601, 1602, 1605, 1607 and 1609, and the Wiltshire FHS transcript largely agrees though has some marriages for a couple of other years.

Looking at the images, #2 looks to me to be dated 1609 at the top, but Phillimore gives the marriages from this as 1607. One of the few entries I can decipher is the burial of a Nicholas Myllard on 9 July, and there is an admon for a Nicholas Millard of Sherston dated 20 July 1609. I can also see the baptism of a daughter of Thomas Isgar dated in October.

#4 is dated 1602 at the top and has been transcribed as such by Phillimore.

#6 appears to be dated 1609 at the top and the marriages have been transcribed as 1609 by Phillimore, including that which could be for Thomas Isgar on 24 Oct. If so, this suggests this transcript may precede the other one dated 1609 (#2) - see the baptism I mention from that above.

#7 is the reverse of #8 and at the top shows the dates 1606, 1607 and 1608, while at the bottom has been marked ?1607. The date at the top of #8 is unclear but could be 1607. Phillimore has transcribed the marriages from this transcript as 1601 but this doesn't look right to me. There is the burial of a William Holborowe on 6 Oct, and there is a will for a William Holborow of Sherston which was written 23 Sep 1607 (with no evidence of probate), which suggests the transcript is more likely to be 1607 than 1601.

Most of the other transcripts are in a much better state and easier to read. 1605 appears later in the set at #26 and is followed by the other pre-1640 transcripts. The registers start in 1653.

I was wondering if anyone with the time and interest would be able to offer any comments on my assessment of these transcripts, please.

Many thanks.

2. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

My goodness, Pauline, the images are certainly challenging to decipher, but I agree that #2 is dated 1609, #4 is 1602, #6 is 1609, #7 has 1606, 1607, 1608 at the top and ?1607 at the bottom. Although the date at the top of #8 is unclear it looks to me more like 1607 than 1601.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1