1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry users what do you think of your new Home page?

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by At home in NZ, May 11, 2022.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

As AhNZ says they change by the day (and probably during the day) but as you ask here is my first view of my current Home Page video section...

upload_2022-6-29_8-19-19.png
    There appears to be 5 frames to view each time and the 5th one can be found by clicking on a lower arrow inset in a black circle. The arrow displayed in a white circle opens the video link. (And no you cannot open from here as it is just a photo copy)

A little Googling reveals Ancestry have scores of such links on YouTube and most -not too surprising - concern genealogy matters (with labels "Family stories", "5-minute finds" plus others and of course "Recipes". All Ancestry is doing on the Home Page is effectively self advertising. Not quite sure why they include Recipes mind?

Edit: I followed up on the 'Apple Cobbler' recipe which took the form of a speeded up video of adding ingredients, mixing, cooking and showing the end result. Unlike the Lamb curry recipe that appeared last time, this time the Apple Cobbler looked good enough to eat.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  2. Bob Spiers

That reminds of sitting one time next to a lovely Indian man (call me Ben) who ran a local Grocery store and -learning of my interest in cooking curries - emphasised the need to slowly cook and blend onions and garlic before adding spices. When you master that you will be well on your way to making a decent curry, adding: "Not as good as my wife of course, but good enough".

I must remind that Curry Powder is merely pre-mixed spices to achieve a certain level of flavour and heat. If you follow a recipe that adds spices individually you will be creating your own curry powder. Even so I have dabbled enough in making curries (including a stock sauce see below) to not be surprised to come across ..." add a tea spoon of Medium curry power (or Mild/Hot)".

Using a stock sauce is what Indian Restaurants do and forms the base of many curry meals. Surprisingly, the stock sauce only 'hints' at a curry base and is designed to augment specific sauces called for by individual recipes.

3. The Ancestry You Tube site is here

4. Bob Spiers

The site covers a multitude of items and you can isolate to Ancestry Recipes (if you want to of course), by typing that in the search box.

5. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

The recipe video that I had just showed the ingredients going in like Bob said. It did not give a list of ingredients, so couldn't be made at home. the video did give an American newspaper name at the end.
    I have just looked and no recipes today just Ancestry Academy and DNA videos today

6. JFB

JFB LostCousins Member

What have delicious recipe suggestions got to do with the new Ancestry home page?
    There are separate discussion boards for recipes and gardening.

The Ancestry home page is getting worse. Why do I need a reminder about the wedding anniversary of my 3x great grandparents?
    It would be very welcome if they provided a facility for experienced users to turn off each one of these "pretty" page sections.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Hopefully you've provided feedback to Ancestry - they can't see this forum discussion.

Personally I would like to know about the anniversaries of my ancestors' births, marriages, and deaths - I chose to get married on the same date as two of my ancestors, and would have married in the same church had it been possible. I appreciate that not everyone is going to feel the same way, but I don't think experience has anything to do with how we react to these features - I've been including recipes in my newsletter for many years, and nobody has ever objected (so far).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

You write proper recipes with a list of ingredients and a method, which is very helpful and easy to follow.
    The Ancestry recipes that I had on my home page just showed the ingredients being poured into a saucepan one after the other with no mention of quantities. I did not find it very helpful and I didn't want to look at any more.
    If you had done the same I am sure you would have had some objections.

9. JFB

JFB LostCousins Member

Ouch!

10. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I totally agree and have sent a suggestion to Ancestry along those lines. Some people will be happy to have these reminders, others will not. I did say in my message to them that they should think about people's feelings when being reminded, for example, of a family member's death. Quite recently I was reminded by Ancestry that it was the anniversary of my mother's death. She died in very sad circumstances and it was upsetting for me to have those memories brought to the surface.

11. I asked Ancestry for the ability to hide all that stuff a while ago.
    Condolences for the loss of your mother.
    It was something similar that prompted me to start the Discussion "How crass"

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1