1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Kegworth and Villagers of Yesterday

Discussion in 'More Leicestershire Resources' started by Jennie, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Jennie

Jennie LostCousins Member

Kegworth (the’ w’ is sometimes silent by locals) is a large village and civil parish with a population of approximately 3,500 and has always prospered from its advantages of trade and routes. Originally these were farming, road and river, later textiles, rail and canal, and now light industry, motorway and an airport.

Along with much other information is a large and free Image Archive grouped under various headings such as Aerial, Buildings, Historical, Maps & Plans, Streets, Views, Villagers of Today and the above, Villages of Yesterday.

2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I have visited there but had no idea the "w" was silent. I'm afraid that there are many English and Scottish place-names that we Aussies mispronounce (though I have to admit that my sister in law lives in Helensburgh, NSW and it is pronounced "Helens-burg" or to the locals "The Burg").