1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Deaths in Sweden

Discussion in 'Europe' started by kirkstall, Mar 9, 2022.

1. kirkstall

kirkstall LostCousins Star

Ancestry has a source Sweden, Births from the Swedish Death Index, 1901-2006.
    As its name implies it list people's date of birth but not, annoyingly, the date of death.
    One can assume that the person must be dead but that's all.
    Does anybody know of a source for the actual dates of Swedish deaths? (FMP only seems to have parish records up to 1920)

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

FamilySearch is the best source for non-English language records, and many of the records at other sites are licensed from FamilySearch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kirkstall

Peter, thanks. I cannot find the records in FamilySearch but I did discover that I could subscribe to the Swedish Death Index for 650SEK which contains full details.

4. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Kirkstall, sign in to Family Search and type Sweden burials into the search box, they have death and burial records 1649-1920.

5. kirkstall

Heather Thanks I knew about this but it's partial and ends in 1920. I was interested in later dates.

6. kirkstall

Peter I want to thank you for suggesting FamilySearch. I have tended to use it only for pre-1837 British and early American records. I tried it on a brick wall for a distant cousin and found out that he had died in South Africa. His skeleton was found at Beach Bush near Durban and it is estimated that he had been dead for over two years! Now that needs more work!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1