1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Display issues

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by desertbaker, Nov 24, 2021.

1. desertbaker

desertbaker LostCousins Member

I enlarged the font size within FTM 2019 to make it easier on my eyes but it has ground to a halt. I have found some old fixes for win 10 and FTM 2017 but Win 11 has a different 'Compatability' option within the Family Tree Maker 2019 Properties box, ie Change high DPI settings which isn't in Win 10. Has any one else changed these settings or had a slow down when font size changed within ftm 2019?

I did call the help line but they wanted money for me to speak to a technician.

2. That's not on!
    I am still on FTM2017 with Win10, I have always had good response using this support facility

3. desertbaker

I'll try that. Thanks.

4. desertbaker

Sent an email and had an online chat. I reset the programme to factory but it made no difference. I asked if win 11 was causing issues and received this interesting reply from 'Lily' : I cannot specify if there are known display issues with Windows 11. Ummmm! I'll let you know if I receive a reply via email. In the meantime I have reverted to the smaller font size with a small improvement with screen re drawing speed, but not much. I have tried compatibility mode to no avail.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

There have been Forum warnings posted on using the new Windows 11 (mostly from myself) if you carry out a search for the topic. In short you can expect many incompatibility issues and best advice is to stay with Windows 10-for the time being - and even revert back to same if you are one of the few people who are notified their device can be upgraded to W11, and do so. Of course if you are using a brand new laptop that comes ready installed then your options are limited. However most were sold as W11 ready, so reverting back can be an option. If it isn't then expect a deal of compatibility issues until other developers catch up with W11. (No wonder MacKiev are not yet able to resolve your FTM issues)

One problem resolved this way came after Skype failed to work after my Australian based sister bought a new laptop that came with W11 installed. Try as we might, Skype no longer worked and my own device with W10 (and incompatible for an upgrade to W11 anyway) would not accept Microsoft's new video calling program'Teams'...so stalemate. In the end I spoke with her son-in-law as he looks after the 'tech' side of things and suggested he revert her device back to W10. The moment she was back with W10 Skype once again worked as before. (She will be able to upgrade to W11 later).

The problem in short is that W11 has a whole new set of features, mostly imposed by Microsoft (using the Edge browser, Bing instead of Google, and a host of compatibility changes) and we must wait until the rest of the world catches up. That could take some time because many existing devices cannot be upgraded, so best advice stay with W10, or revert back to same. If not do your best to resolve in the best way you can, and seek advice on the web to see how others overcome such problems.

Of course others may have different solutions.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Bob Spiers

Sorry I should have included a link back to early posted W11 issues referred to above. You should find it here Windows11

It may not resolve existing problems but will act as a pointer as to why Windows 11 still has way to go before it can be generally used without compatibility issues

7. desertbaker

So far this is the only programme I use that has had any issues with win 11. I use Brave as a browser and DuckDuckgo as my search engine. I have Nord VPN and Kaspersky in the background while running Folding@home for protein folding. Teams and zoom work OK as does Roots 8. I've found win 11 quicker and 'cleaner' to use. FTM was working OK until I changed the size of the font. I might try uninstalling and re-install. wrt Skype, I had the impression MS was trying to kill it off and get everyone onto Teams by removing it from win11? It can be added to win 11 but not without a lot of fiddling.

I'll post any information I receive from MacKiev.

8. Bob Spiers

Clearly reading your post I can see you are tech savvy and obviously need little advice. Many new to Windows 11 are having problems and do not have the tech experience to overcome them. You are right about Microsoft trying to kill off Skype, with typical 'we know best' Microsoft arrogance. 'Teams' is designed for Business and many -like those in my family - wish to remain with Skype and without unexpected compatibility problems.

I am aware of W11 virtues but as I implied before others need to catch up with its demands before the incompatibility problems go away. That is if they ever do; after all it is Microsoft and nothing is ever sorted out quickly.