1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Errors

Discussion in 'England & Wales BMD registers' started by Heatherblether, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Heatherblether

Heatherblether LostCousins Member

This week I found two errors - one is easily sorted I saw my own birth record listed in an index, however I note I was born in Luxemburg! After believing it was Germany for 60 odd years this was a surprise!! I have contacted FindmyPast of their error. I hope they don't tell me its correct!! I may have to change my passport!! :)

The other though has intrigued me, its in the Scottish records and involves the death of a woman who lived in a small highland community. The registrar also local and the death is recorded in 1890's and reads that she was 22 years old (Its very clear), her true age was between 53-54. I have seen many errors due to wrong information given by the informant, but this is unusual as the informant was her brother with whom she lived for many years, and would surely know her age to the decade ! I had followed her through the census and her occupation etc all matches except her age. The registrar must have had a bad day I cannot think of any any other reason- I only found it after I saw a poor relief record gave the information, including that she lived with her brother etc. No wonder I had not been able to locate her death record.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Were you born in the military hospital at Hostert by any chance? It looks as if Findmypast have incorrectly located around 4400 of the 4600+ births at Hostert in Luxemburg. There is such a place in Luxemburg, but it has no connection with the British Army, so I suspect their gazetteer let them down (Google Maps also finds the one in Luxemburg unless you specify Germany).

If my theory is right you might want to let them know that it's not just your own record that is affected.

3. Heatherblether

Hi Peter

Yes I was.

I messaged FMP and told them that Hostert was the army base near Dusseldorf - so hopefully they will realize. I googled Hostert and noted there was such a place in Luxembourg. My German friend had previously said that there was no such place, perhaps it was just the army base name - even if it was taken from something in the locality. The result is my passport says I was born in Hostert!

4. peter

I expect you have seen this page with photos of the hospital and staff. It says "Hostert is a very small place and would be described in the UK as a hamlet" which would explain why it doesn't show up in Google Maps.

As you probably know, the hospital building later became a school. Apparently one of the famous pupils was Baroness Ros Scott, who we have to thank for the change in law that allowed the GRO to issue PDF copies of birth and death register entries.

5. Heatherblether

Yes, I came across that page within the past year or two and sent the link to my sister, Tom baker (Dr Who) worked there at the time and it might have been through an interview with him I came accross the site ??

Interestingly my sister is listed as born in Dusseldorf though she is massively younger than I by her way of it. (15 months!)

Perhaps she needs to change her passport as she also put Hostert!

6. peter

Presumably you both have birth certificates - it's what shown in the birth register that matters, not what it shown in the indexes. Indexes are a useful finding guide, but have no evidential value.

7. Heatherblether

Yes, I understand that. We are both also registered in Scotland under Service Records

Its amusing to see when its your own records though and how they had changed in the months between my sister and I