1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Am I going mad? An Ancestry change?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by At home in NZ, Oct 17, 2021.

1. I wanted to look at the Tree Overview in a public tree but the option isn't in the dropdowns. I'm almost sure it was there last time I looked, not sure how long ago though.
    Am I imagining things?

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

View: Trees -Create & Manage -Select a Tree and below its title you will see "View Tree Overview". Clicking on same will take you to the Overview.

Unless of course you do not see Tree Overview under the Create & Manage heading of course. I cannot recall the Tree Overview being found elsewhere, but of course it may and perhaps that is the one that has disappeared. See what others have to say.

3. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

The route Bob refers to only applies to your own trees and trees shared with you, where you can click on 'View Tree Overview' in the list, as Bob says.
    However, I seem to remember being able to look at a Tree Overview of any public tree, not just those listed as shared with me. I can't remember how I got to the overview screen, but I can't seem to find it now. If it was through the dropdowns from the tree in question, it's not there now.

4. It isn't there now.
    In your own tree, when you click on the tree name at top left there is a list: View Tree, Overview, Media Gallery, All Hints, Settings, Sharing and Family Group Sheet.
    In somebody else's tree the list is now: View Tree, Media Gallery and Family Group Sheet.
    I wonder why they have removed the Tree Overview :p

5. Helen7

Yes, I've noticed the different lists for your own trees and someone else's. You also get the Overview option in the dropdown from the tree name in someone else's tree where they have made you a Contributor or Editor but not as a Guest - though as noted above you can get to the Tree Overview for any tree in the 'Create and Manage' trees list including those where you are a Guest.

6. I have tried using 'Create and Manage' and it produces a list of my own trees, I currently only have one tree where I am a guest and that is not in the list.

I know we used to be able to see a tree overview because I definitely looked at one and could see who the contributors are. Now I can't!

7. I have the answer from a Chat with Ancestry support, you have to be in the profile of a person in the tree and click on the Family Tree name.
    I'm not going mad after all, maybe remembering things wrongly! :rolleyes:

8. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

You access the Trees to which you are a guest by clicking a tab at the top of the "My Trees" list, which is entitled "Trees shared with you".

9. jorghes

**I just went looking in a public tree (attached to a DNA result) and I have accessed the Tree Overview without even trying...

I accessed a member of the tree by clicking through a public tree on the DNA results. Then I chose "View in Tree" - instead of taking me to the tree, it took me to the Tree Overview. I tried it twice and it has occurred twice. I will now be checking the results with other attempts.

10. Helen7

Where is the "View in Tree" option in the public tree of a DNA match? I can't see it in any of mine.

11. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

When you click on someone (eg an ancestor) in a match's tree, up comes a window with that ancestor's profile page. At bottom left hand side of the profile page is a green button with View in tree option. Clicking on that takes you to the ancestor's full page in the tree.

12. Helen7

Ah, yes, silly me. I was clicking straight through to 'View full tree' - but I can now see the button you mention when clicking on an ancestor in a match's tree. As you say, it just goes to that ancestor's full page, rather than the Tree Overview reported by jorghes.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. Helen7

I've just come across a rather strange way of accessing the Tree Overview in a public tree, which seems to work for any public tree:

If you go to any person in the tree, then select 'View Tree' in the dropdown from the name of the family tree, you see the tree displayed in pedigree format. The URL is of the form:
    ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/ followed by a number/ (7-9 digits), followed by a long string of characters.
    If I replace everything beyond the number/ with recent and click Return, I get the Tree Overview.

I've tried this with several random public trees (not just DNA matches) and it seems to work every time.

14. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Very clever Helen, and very 'nerdy' if I may say so. Taking a leaf out of PhilGee's book I fear. But tried it and agree it works.

15. Helen7

I just followed the same format for the URL as I'd seen in the Tree Overview accessed from the 'Create & Manage' list as you'd mentioned earlier. A joint effort, I think.

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  16. jorghes

Yeah, as soon as I tried it elsewhere, it stopped doing it. Pain in the neck really.

17. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

If you click to view a tree (as opposed to a person in it), whether from a DNA match or from someone's profile page, then generally you will be taken to a pedigree view of the tree. However, if the tree owner has not set a Home person for that tree, you will normally be taken to the tree overview instead.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1