1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Medal card

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Kate, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hello. I have a medal card for Catherine Mary Fricker born 1864 Rotherhithe., Dis A 106382
    She was awarded the Mercantile Marine ribbon and British Medal ribbon on the 5 Dec 1919.
    According the National Maritime Museum there was a stewardess on the Mongolia in 1915 of this name, age 51, so this looks like the lady in my husband's tree. I have never been 'into' military genealogy but find this interesting. Would she have received these for being a stewardess? Thanks

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I don't know about these ribbons, but most decorations in WW1 were campaign medals awarded to all those who served in a particular theatre of war at a particular time. It's likely that these ribbons were awarded on a similar basis.

3. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Thanks. I have just found a Minnie Mason who was a stewardess on a channel ferry in the war. She received medals too. I read that there weren't many stewardesses though. Will look into it some more.