1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Problem checking LC entries with FMP

Discussion in 'Findmypast' started by canadianbeth, Aug 7, 2021.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Is anyone else having difficulty when entering ancestors to LC and then checking against FMP with the little arrows? I entered two different families yesterday and got this message

This site can’t be reached
    www.awin1.com’s server IP address could not be found.

It has continued today. I tried with some of those already entered and which had been fine previously, and get the same message that the site cannot be reached. I then checked the FMP main page to see if it was down and it is ok.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Working fine now, and there is no mention of problems on the Awin site, so it was probably a temporary glitch, such as a DNS server being down, or misconfiguration at some point along the line. There were problems last week with other sites, indeed it seems the Internet is becoming increasingly jittery.

3. canadianbeth

I just checked with one of my previous entries and am still getting it. I will just have to hope that my new entries are correct.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I can't reproduce the problem so it must be in some way related to your ISP (although no doubt they will deny this). I vaguely remember that when similar problems have been reported on the forum (though not necessarily in relation to Findmypast) changing DNS servers was the solution. Someone else reading this probably can probably point you in the right direction.

But first try another browser, just in case that makes a difference.
    Provided you worked out the census references yourself (following the explanation in the LostCousins FAQs), rather than relying on the transcription, there shouldn't be a problem - the reference checking arrows were introduced primarily to help new members, who are usually not familiar with census references. But you can always carry out the search at Findmypast directly - the arrows are simply a device to save you time.

5. canadianbeth

I just checked the site again and whatever the problem was, it seems to have corrected itself. I checked the two entries I had made, one from 1911 and the other from 1881, and both were ok. No new matches, however.