1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Determination of 1911 Census Schedule Number

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Bryman, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Please can someone help?

I entered the Piece and Schedule Number (228) for an entry from the 1911 census but when I checked for correctness using the grey arrow icon, a different surname was displayed for the family retrieved. I tried alternative values for the Schedule Number (225 and 226) but both resulted in wrong surnames.

upload_2021-7-18_14-21-19.png

FMP does not allow a Schedule Number to be specified when searching for the census entry so I don't know how to determine the correct value in a reasonable amount of time. If I remove the Schedule Number value and enter the family surname then the family census entries are displayed so I know that the Piece value is correct.

I have looked at the LC Help and elsewhere on this Forum but not seen anything which seems appropriate. Sorry if I have not been sufficiently alert or have been looking in the wrong place.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

If you don't have a Findmypast subscription you can get the schedule number from FamilySearch.

Also, please note that whilst Findmypast does not show a schedule number field on the search form, if you start your search by clicking the arrow on your My Ancestors page you can alter the schedule number in the URL.

3. Bryman

Thank you Peter. That was the help that I was hoping for. I had not thought of that. I had only searched within the standard form for some way to enter the alternative values.

My memory vaguely recalls that this has been mentioned elsewhere in this Forum but I could not find the instance to jog my memory.

4. Bryman

Success. I have found the family merged in with another which was not on the original census form! The given surname for the head of household was also incorrectly transcribed so I will have to inform FMP to enable a correction or there will be no future matches forthcoming.