1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1911 census entry - loss of parents ?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by John Dancy, May 27, 2021.

1. John Dancy

John Dancy LostCousins Superstar

living in Addington in Surrey, 3346/16,
    William Field, son, Caroline Field, daughter, Arthur Field, son and Hettie Field, daughter
    Index page is Mr Field.
    no parents
    Joseph b 1842 and his wife Elizabeth do not seem to be anywhere else?
    did they just not bother to put themselves on the form?

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I see the form was completed by Caroline, and as the siblings are all adults, maybe they didn't regard any of them as being 'Head of the family' if their parents were absent.

3. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Might the parents have been out of the country at the time of the census? Many of my ancestors are missing from various census returns due to travelling backwards and forwards between England and India, sometimes leaving younger members of the family behind in England.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

There's also the possibility that they were suffragists, many of whom refused to be listed on the census.