1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Looking for a birthplace of three brothers WALTON between 1793 and 1804

Discussion in 'Middlesex' started by JOSTURM, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Sorry! :)

But, as Helen points out, it is still only a hypothesis and there are several unanswered questions, so there's plenty more work to be done. As well as the absence of baptisms etc, going on what appears to be his burial in 1835 Benjamin was born c1752. The oldest of the 3 brothers was apparently born c1793, and if all ages are roughly correct, it may make things just a little bit tight.

EDIT: Benjamin's will also mentions a nephew Edmond Walton, and from the 1841 census it seems Edmond was born c1786-91, and his will mentions his sister, Sophia Fowler.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  2. Pauline

OK, a few more bits and pieces to throw into the mix:

The above Sophia Fowler was, according to the 1851 census, born c1791 in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

According to FamilySearch, an Eliza Jane Walton, daughter John & Jane Easton Walton, was baptised in Bury St Edmunds 6 Dec 1805.

Also at Family Search, a Benjamin & Ann Walton had a daughter Charlotte baptised in Bury St Edmunds 11 Nov 1787.

But there was also a John s of Benjamin & Ann baptised there in 1785, and unless baptised long after birth, he would be too young to be father of the 3 brothers.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  3. No need to be.
    I think there's enough 'mix' now, time for me to bow out.
    Good luck.

4. Pauline

I think input from JOSTURM may be needed more than luck here. The connection to the above Benjamin Walton, and to Richmond and Bury St Edmunds, all seems to hang on Eliza Jane Walton (who married George Saunders) being a sister of these three brothers Thomas, William & John, and that seems to hang on an Eliza Jane Walton witnessing the marriage of William Walton & Elizabeth White in 1826, this thought to be the first marriage of the brother William (see #20).

The thing is, I think it was very probably a different William Walton who married Elizabeth White in 1826, that he was a coachmaker who, from the 1851 census, was born in Islington around 1806, and in 1851 was still married to Elizabeth White. This William may well have been brother of Eliza Jane, since there is a possible baptism for him in Islington, son of a John & Jane.

The William Walton who was son of John Walton, gingerbread baker, married Mary Eastwood Turner in 1838 as a widower. There is also a banns entry for this same couple at St Mary Islington in 1827, William also then a widower. (The entry is crossed out and there are no dates for the banns being read, but the entries either side were read in February 1827.)

So I think two different Williams may have got mixed up here.