1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Paleography

Discussion in 'Wills and probate' started by RichardJB, Oct 29, 2020.

1. RichardJB

RichardJB LostCousins Member

Hi, I thought I was beginning to master reading the sort of script in the attached will extract but for the life of me I cannot decifer the first word of the 5th line down:

"[?] ifone of my said niece (whether the parent or ancestor of such ifone"

Any thoughts anyone, please?

Also this is the first time I've come across the use of "ifone" (it occurs several times in this will). I have not found a definition in any of my dictionaries of terms etc. Does anyone know such definition?

Thanks

Richard Clean Copy Part 1 Extract.jpg

2. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I think the word you've transcribed as "ifone" could be "issue", i.e. descendants. The old long s is similar to a modern f, and n's and u's are very similar. The first word of the 5th line, preceding "issue", could be "remoter".

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. RichardJB

Of course it's "issue". Silly me! I've picked up the long s elsewhere in the document and in many others - I've no idea why I failed this time! Many thanks.

4. RichardJB

Contextually "remoter" certainly works. Many thanks, again!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. RichardJB

Hello, I have another Will the transcription of which is giving me a bit of grief. A second (or more) pair of eyes looking over this would be great if anyone has a bit of time.
    The attached shows a marginal addition to the will of William Timbrell proved in 1839. I have had a crack at transcribing it but have a number of "square brackets":

On the 21st May 1842

amd[?] [?] the Will [assessed?]

of the Goods Chattels and Credits

of William Timbrell late of

Wonersh near Guildford

in the County of Surrey

Gentleman deceased [left?]

[unadmd ?] by Ann Timbrell

widow deceased whilst being

the Relict of the said [deceased?]

the sole Executrix and Residuary

Legatee named in the said

Will was granted to Andrew

Timbrell the Son and ad[?]

of the Goods of the said Ann Timbrell

widow deceased having been

first sworn duly to administer

The said Executrix [died?] [Intestate?]

as by Acts of Bank appears

Any thought on those square brackets would be most gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

6. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Line 2: administration with the Will annexed (abbreviated in original)

Lines 7 & 8: left unadministered (abbreviated in original)

Line 10: deceased

Line 14: administrator (abbreviated in original)

Line 18: died Intestate

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  7. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Just to add to the above (though I haven't checked all the bits not in square brackets), I think this says "Court" rather than "Bank".

8. RichardJB

Excellent! Thanks so much Pauline. And I agree Court makes a whole lot more sense.