1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

BMD indexes at Somerset House

Discussion in 'England & Wales BMD registers' started by A. Muse, Jan 16, 2021.

1. A. Muse

A. Muse LostCousins Member

Those of you who have been researching for a long time will remember the days when the BMD indexes were located in Somerset House (before they were moved to St Katherines House). For those who want to see what it was like (or if you want to reminisce) there is a brief scene in the original 'Day of the Jackal' film.

I don't know if the 'behind the scenes shots' were also at Somerset House or in the studio. Perhaps someone on here will know, or perhaps they have been in the restricted areas.

My strongest memories are rushing to Somerset House in my lunch hour on a No. 15 bus and fighting for space on the sloping supports that overlooked what we now call an atrium. Funny that the little old ladies had the sharpest elbows, and the strength to heave the volumes around at great speed. How no volumes went 'over the edge' and crashing down 2 levels I do not know. Maybe some did, but not when I was there!

2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

You have reminded me of my early days of researching family history. My husband's family has a strong convict history and I can remember going to Sydney's Mitchell Library and spending hours going through their records. Imagine the excitement at finding a prevously unknown piece of information in shipping records. I wonder what happened to the baby said to have been with 17 year old g.g.grandmother on board her transport ship, or what happened to the bible awarded for good behaviour to g.g.g.grandfather who was illiterate?

Probably my most successful piece of primary research happened some years ago on a visit to England and a trip to the Centre for Kentish Studies at Maidstone. My search for the court case of the above g.g.g.grandfather was unsuccessful and an attendant suggested that the witness depositions might be available. I was amazed when she produced the original documents which included his very wobbly X.

Then of course there is the thrill of trawling through old country cemeteries and finding previously unknown headstones...

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1