1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

More on marriages

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by Jeremy Wilkes, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Jeremy Wilkes

Jeremy Wilkes LostCousins Star

I was puzzled on reading the article about the royal wedding to learn that it is not indexed by the G.R.O. On checking, though, I see that there appears to be no obligation on deans who are not incumbents (and those who are used to be called provosts, save, perhaps, for the Dean of Battle) to submit quarterly returns. I wonder whether there are similar omissions of ceremonies at cathedrals, school and college chapels and, for that matter, Dover Castle.

Incidentally, I have seen it argued that descendants of Queen Victoria are not bound by the Royal Marriages Act, because she was a princess who married into a foreign house, but what member of the Royal Family would want to risk finding that his or her marriage was void?

My understanding is that Quaker and Jewish weddings were not regulated by Lord Hardwicke's act because representatives of those denominations asked for exemption, and the authorities were doubtless agreeable because errant heiresses and heiresses presumptive of the upper class were unlikely to engage in their ceremonies. Professor Probert, and doubtless others, take the view that such weddings were invalid anyway (but those of Quakers were retrospectively validated).

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

The 1772 Act is no longer in force - in 2015 it was superseded by the Succession to the Crown Act 2013.
    It's important to bear in mind what the official title of the Act was.