1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Buried alive?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Pauline, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Browsing through a parish register earlier, I came across the following burial:

"A Poor man found near Foxshut hill almost dead was buried the 19th day of March 1758"

Would it not have been better to have waited until the "poor man" was fully dead before they buried him?
    :eek:

• Great question Great question x 2
  2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Perhaps there should be a comma between the "almost dead" and the "was buried"?

3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Yes, the 'almost dead' presumably relates to the state in which they found him, but the ambiguity of the entry caused me some amusement.

• Agree Agree x 2