1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Surrey Parish Registers at Ancestry & Findmypast

Discussion in 'Surrey' started by Pauline, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I have been doing a lot of research into my Surrey ancestors recently and making use of the Surrey History Centre collection at Ancestry.

However, many of the digitised parish registers there have black and white images which makes some pages very difficult to read. Thus quite a few entries have either not been transcribed or have been transcribed incorrectly.

In many cases there are considerably better colour images at FMP - but quite a few of the registers there have not been transcribed at all. Consequently, despite using both of these sites, many of the folk I've been looking for do not show up in a search, but are nevertheless recorded in the registers and can be found by browsing.

Other more seasoned Surrey researchers may perhaps already be aware of this but I thought it was worth mentioning for the benefit of anyone else unaware of this.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

It seems that FMP have now released transcriptions for at least some of the Surrey registers that were not previously transcribed there. I haven't looked in any detail as yet but since their images of these registers are generally much better than those at Ancestry, hopefully their transcriptions will be too.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

By and large Findmypast's parish register transcriptions are better, especially for the older records. I'd be interested to know how extensive FMPs coverage is now because I have some 'brick walls' in Surrey which I can't knock down using Ancestry.

EDIT: I think I've knocked down one of my 'brick walls' already - a promising start.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020