1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

War deaths

Discussion in 'Military records' started by Heatherblether, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Heatherblether

Heatherblether LostCousins Member

I use BrothersKeeper and I have always referenced those considered war deaths (CWGC) slightly differently in my data base. I started doing this early on, I had grown up not knowing anyone who had fought in the wars never mind anyone who died, in my small nuclear family.

I am sad to say that my numbers now are over 40. The closest, my great uncle died 1944. My grandmother had died 11 years earlier and grandfather remarried, contact lost with first family. Any link that connects them to family is allowed. There are husbands and a step son along with with blood relatives - each death shaping the family.

I have British, Australian, New Zealand, Canadian and Polish soldiers, I have a family lost in the blitz, those sunk by uboats, a flying accident,those who died of more natural causes during the war and some just after. I always look for as much information as I can about them. The greater number fall under WW1 by over 2 to one.

I have recently asked for my great Uncles service record . I await for this with hope on finding a bit more about his life and times.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Did you know that you can access all Australian service records for free? (Though some may not have been digitised)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Heatherblether

I did not know that - thank you. I shall go and have a look.

4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

You can access them at the National Archives of Australia, by using the Name Search - if the link doesn't work, try this one here and you access the name search through clicking "Explore the Collection" and then clicking on "Record Search". One of the options on the tabs across the top of the page that then opens is "Name Search".

It's also useful to check for funeral and death notices by using Trove which gives you access to Australia's collection of digitised newspapers (and other resources).

5. Heatherblether

Thanks again, especially for National Archives, I had recently discovered Trove whilst searching a new line, an unknown brother to my ancestor (neither had baptism records), who was an early convict - sent to Tasmania in 1828 at 17. Thats another story!!!