1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Relationship setting in Ancestry

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by At home in NZ, Jun 3, 2020.

1. After many years of believing there was no hope of finding the father of an illegitimate child born in 1906 I have found a Banns entry for the mother of the child but no subsequent marriage.

The child is detailed as illegitimate in the Workhouse birth record and I have her birth cert which does not have a father’s name

It is highly unlikely that there was any real relationship between the father and mother because the mother was admitted to the Workhouse 4 months prior to giving birth. As far as I can ascertain from a criminal report the man may have been taken into custody around that time.

In my Ancestry tree I have tied both parents to the child as biological but when it comes to the relationship between the parents I am not sure which to choose.

The choices are:
    Spouse
    Partner
    Friend
    Single
    Other
    Unknown

I have tentatively used ‘Unknown’ and wonder what others would do under the circumstances?

2. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Unknown seems too much like "None of the above". I think that I would probably opt for "Single" as you don't know if she even knew the other parent and "Other" really needs some further explanation.

3. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I used "unknown" for the person who fathered my Dad, but then I have no idea who he was and probably never will. But it sounds as though you know who the person was. I might choose "other" and then put details in the notes.

4. How can two people who produced a child not know each other?
    I think you misread my post.:D

I do know who it was, that's the whole point of my question.
    I have two parents in my tree, they did not marry and only had a brief relationship. On the surface it looks like a jilting situation. I have decided to use 'partner' after thinking about it more. Because:
    the names were entered in the Banns register in December 1905, the father went back into the Navy in April 1906 and the mother entered the workhouse in May 1906. Plus, I have since heard from a contact in Ancestry that DNA has proved a relationship to this couple's grandson.

Thanks to both of you for your input.

5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Yes I'd use Partner and add the findings/thoughts to the notes of all 3 concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Already done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

My 3x g-grandmother, after she was widowed, lived with a man for 10 years and had 4 children with him, but it seems they were never married (and their children bore both parents' surnames). I've chosen 'Partner' for their relationship, but he still appears as Spouse onscreen. Is there any way of changing this?

8. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

They may have only just met in unfriendly circumstances!
    Yes, you seem to have made further assumptions than you wrote in your first post. Sorry if I did not understand.
    In my view, the options mean . . .

Spouse - married (You say they were not married.)
    Partner - unmarried but in a relationship, probably living together (You say they were probably not in a relationship and not living together.)
    Friend - father known to mother and act probably consensual (You say that father was not named on Birth Certificate.)
    Single - possibly not consensual and father may not even be known by mother (You say that father was not named on Birth Certificate so not acknowledged.)
    Other - some other circumstances known and described elsewhere (You say that you suspect the circumstances but do not know for certain.)
    Unknown - absolutely no idea of circumstances but child was acknowledged by mother as being hers.

The intended spouse of the mother may have deserted her, after the banns were read, when he found her to be pregnant by another man?
    Just my interpretation and suggestion.

9. Helen7

Or could the man's incarceration have stopped the marriage? If the man was taken into custody at about the same time as the woman was admitted to the workhouse, that might indicate they were planning to marry, but then he was arrested and she lost her home? Don't know if the dates support this, but it's just a thought.

10. Non that I have found, I have used Partner for several of my people. Maybe we should lobby for an additional 'label' seeing as it is much more common now.
    My youngest brother and myself are both in 'partnerships'.

I did say he MAY have been incarcerated at that time. I cannot prove that. The news cutting I found dated 1921 refers to crimes dating back to 1906 but no further detail.

I have solved the mystery with that DNA advice I received and I have seen other family trees in Ancestry that have the same relationship..

The two people would more than likely be known to each other due to being born in the same parish, with siblings at the same ‘poor school’.

11. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

In case anyone is in any doubt, for LostCousins purposes it doesn't matter whether or not a legal marriage took place - if a couple lived together as man and wife, or had one or more children together (whether or not they lived together) then they are considered married.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  12. Helen7

Yes, I've noticed that 'Marriage' is the only sensible option on LC. I've used that for my 3x g-grandmother's partner.