1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Early Burford BDM Records

Discussion in 'Oxfordshire' started by JaneM, Apr 26, 2020.

1. JaneM

JaneM LostCousins Member

I live in New Zealand. I am attempting to verify some early BDM records, 1500-1600 from Burford, Oxfordshire. Many years ago, well before digitisation of records, a relative researched our MILLS family from Burford, Oxfordshire. I have searched on Ancestry, FMP & Family Search but it appears that their records for this parish don't start until early 1600s.
    I would appreciate it if someone is able to help with this issue. I'm wondering how/where the early MILLS BDM detail would have been obtained?

2. I have been to Burford, it is a delightful Cotswolds town. It's on the Shropshire/Oxfordshire border. There are a couple of websites that might help you
    Genuki and Burford
    Good luck.

3. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi JaneM, maybe your relative sent for microfiche records from the parish involved. I suggest you have a look at the Oxfordshire Family History Society website, they have lots of links for you to explore, good luck.

4. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

It seems Burford parish registers date from 1612 only and that there are no earlier BTs. The OFHS transcripts likewise date from 1612.

So it seems unlikely the records you have are from Burford itself, and may perhaps be from one of the neighbouring parishes. Have you tried searching with just the names and dates at Ancestry to see if they show up elsewhere? A quick search at Ancestry for the surname Mills & variants has 16th century hits in parishes not too far from Burford.

5. Pauline

There is more than one Burford in England, and these links refer to the one in Shropshire, not the one in Oxfordshire. The Burford in Oxfordshire is indeed a delightful Cotswold town.

EDIT: For the benefit of those who don't live in England, and may therefore be less familiar with its geography, Shropshire and Oxfordshire do not share a border.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  6. JaneM

JaneM LostCousins Member

Thanks for your prompt responses to my Burford query. I did wonder abt your Burford records, 'At Home in NZ', as I didn't think Oxfordshire was bordered by Shropshire & had already discovered that there is more than one Burford in UK. But those records do make interesting reading!
    I have also messaged the OFHS, had an useful reply & joined their society. Hopefully this will give me access to a range of Oxfordshire records. It looks like Wills may be a useful area to source family details about my MILLS family. I'll also go back to Ancestry, per your suggestion, Pauline & look in adjoining parishes to Burford. My Mills family line moved to Hampnett, Gloucestershire in the early 1800s.

7. Sorry for the mistake, I was born in England and spent the first 29 years of my life there. When I looked for those records that I quoted I saw something that gave me the wrong impression. Jumped in boots and all and put foot in mouth, blame it on the stress of living under the threat of that nasty virus!!

Yes Jane, I thoroughly recommend a look. Just one will in particular gave me the clue I needed to find my second great grandmother.

8. Pauline

I've lived in England all my life and don't think I was aware before yesterday that there is more than one Burford. And it was only when I looked a second time at what you wrote that it occurred to me that there isn't a Shropshire/Oxfordshire border - which led me to investigate further.

I now know that there are at least 3 Burfords in England.

9. Pauline

Presumably the OFHS told you about the wills project on their own website? It is very useful for tracing folk who perhaps didn't themselves leave wills but are mentioned in the wills of others.

And, as you probably already know, images of Oxfordshire wills and admons are at FMP.