1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Identifying an old WW1 photo.

Discussion in 'Military records' started by Fozzie, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Fozzie

Fozzie LostCousins Member

I was given the attached photo purporting to be my grandfather (on the right) during WW1 from a cousin who has since died. It has "KR Gifhorn" written on the back, otherwise, there is nothing to identify it. Gifhorn is near Hanover. KR stands for Kastorf which is a small town just north of Gifhorn and I wondered if it might have been a German POW camp but that place is not listed as one. The cap badges are not clear enough to identify a regiment so all my research has drawn a blank. I have no idea what my grandfather did during that war, he died when I was 6. Does anybody have any suggestions where I can take this further? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

3. Fozzie

Thank you. I will try that.

4. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Good luck. I'll be interested to know how you got on.

5. Have you tried searching for your grandfather in the 1911 census?
    My partner and I have an interest in both WW wars, we have looked at your photo and come to the conclusion that the men are wearing a German uniform, we could be wrong but it does not look like a British uniform.
    Like Gillian, we wish you good luck.

6. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Welcome to the forum Fozzie, could your grandfather have been in another service such as the fire brigade? If you search on Google for "auxiliary fire service" you will see a photo from the "wartimememoriesproject.com" site, the uniforms on some of the men are very similar to your grandfathers.

7. Fozzie

Thanks for the suggestions. My grandfather was Frank Martin born 1880 in Chelsea. With such a common name it has been hard to separate one from another! I don't even know if he was in the Army or not. The Fire Service was never mentioned by my grandmother so not sure about that idea either. In 1911 he was the manager of a Fishmongers shop in Chertsey and an Insurance Agent in 1939. I thought the cap badges look like they represent the British Army, especially the middle one which is similar to the East Lancashire Regiment.

8. Fozzie

Thank you Gillian for your suggestion about https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/ They found him, along with his service record! All from one photo! Well pleased.

9. Good one Fozzie, pleased for you. Could you please prove I was wrong in thread number 5, which regiment did he belong to?
    Thanks in advance.

10. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

What a great outcome Fozzie, very pleased for you.

11. Fozzie

He was 31019 Pte Frank Martin, East Surrey Regiment. Captured 8/5/1917 at Fresnoy, France. He is wearing 13th Bn East Surrey’s Wandsworth Battalion cap badge. After capture Frank was recorded at the following camps: 23 Jun 1917 at Dulmen, 11 Aug 1917 at Limburg and 24 Nov 1917 at Hameln. Hameln was a parent camp in X Corps administrative zone and had many attached work camps. Kr. is the German abbr. for Kreiss, a Government area and may have been home to one of the attached work camps. There wás a POW camp in Kreis Gifhorn in WW1, 1.7 km down the "Lagerweg" in Rádersloh on the south side. The uniforms were black with brown arm-bands which were used by some prisoners. So there you have it!

12. I did ask for it! Thank you so much, it's a good outcome for you and I've learnt heaps.:D

13. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Congratulations, Fozzie. I'm so glad for you. Also that the long long trail turned up trumps, as they did for me, too, some time back.