1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 28 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 3,738 new entries have been added and
    • 227 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Another week of impressive numbers but unsurprisingly all down on last week now the competition has ended.

Thanks to Ancestry DNA matches and ThruLines, I've managed to find a wife for a 4th great uncle, which means soon I should have a lot of relatives to add to Lost Cousins. Happy Days :)

New Members mean New Entries, and New Entries mean New Matches. Everyone wins.

Good Luck Everyone!

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site
    upload_2020-2-14_14-3-44.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  2. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 34 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,291 new entries have been added and
    • 279 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. New Members joining and Relatives matched are up this week.

Following on from last week, I've discovered 50 relatives that I was able to add to Lost Cousins which has result in one new Cousin match :)

The ratio between new entries and relatives matched was 8.21 for this week, on average every ninth person added made a match for a member.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-2-21_11-43-39.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 124 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,391 new entries have been added and
    • 196 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. New Members joining and Relatives added are up this week.
    Lost Cousins was mentioned on an Ancestry UK research FaceBook page this week, which I think has helped with the number of Members joining.
    Lets hope this also start to add their relatives.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-2-28_10-48-32.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Absolutely - whichever Facebook or other groups you belong to, remember that some of them are your 'lost cousins' but that ALL of them are 'lost cousins' to somebody. So when you mention LostCousins you're making my job a little easier and helping your fellow members.

5. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 38 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 3,340 new entries have been added and
    • 138 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only Relatives added up this week, hopefully from all those new members last week.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-3-6_10-8-16.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 53 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,245 new entries have been added and
    • 153 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. New Members and Relatives Matched are up this week, it's great to see new members joining because we know it leads to new entries being added.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-3-13_10-15-15.png

7. peter

Great to see so many new members joining - almost all of them have joined on the recommendation of existing members, whether in person, on Facebook, or in a talk at a family history society. LostCousins never buys advertisements - the cost would ultimately be paid by members - but you, the members of this forum, are the best advertisement, and it only costs a moment of your time to pass on the good news to a friend or relative.

Remember, when you're recommending LostCousins to a relative it is a courtesy to them to use the Refer a Relative feature on your My Referrals page - a few minutes of your time can save your relative an hour or more.

8. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 34 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,992 new entries have been added and
    • 171 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only Relatives Matched is up this week. Covid-19 is starting to show it's effect around the world now and thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-3-20_10-23-3.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 32 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 4,873 new entries have been added and
    • 250 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. Only Relatives Matched and New Entries are up this week, but New Members are only 2 down.
    Covid-19 is starting to show it's effect around the world now and thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early.

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-3-27_10-30-17.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 50 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 10,716 new entries have been added and
    • 572 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers up this week, and Peter has launched another competition with great prizes.
    There's never been such a good time to stay safe and enter your relatives over at Lost Cousins. It's simple and quick, and you may find yourselves with some spare time now, so enter those relatives and be lucky in the competition.

Thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early. #Staysafe

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-4-3_11-54-31.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 81 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 12,234 new entries have been added and
    • 812 relatives have been matched.
    Always good to see New Members joining. All numbers up this week again which is always good news. We all love a great competition :)

There's never been such a good time to stay safe and enter your relatives over at Lost Cousins. It's simple and quick, and you may find yourselves with some spare time now, so enter those relatives and be lucky in the competition.

Thoughts go out to families who have lost loved ones too early. Remember to stay at home and social distancing. #Staysafe

Good Luck Everyone!

upload_2020-4-10_10-26-6.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. peter

And by the way, there are LOTS of competition prizes still to be won, so why not invite other family historians to join and share in the prizes?

13. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I do not really understand the contest. I just went back and read the article again; does it mean that there is a prize attached to someone that I add to my ancestors page? Not necessarily the first person listed, but one of the rest of the household? And only for someone new; not someone already there, that I clicked on to make sure it was not an error.

14. peter

There are 100 prizes attached to 100 people recorded in the 1881 Census. If you enter one of those people you win a prize - of course, most of the time you won't win a prize, but you'll still have a greater chance of finding a 'lost cousin' than you would if there was no competition and no prizes because - as Red Dragon's figures demonstrate - the number of relatives being entered is much higher than usual.

15. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Oh, so if I enter someone who has already been entered by someone else, and that name is one of the 100 you have chosen. I did enter a family the other day and got red check marks beside them; if that name was one of the chosen I would have conceivably won a prize? I need to contact that person soon, unless he/she contacts me first. :)

16. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Not quite. As I understand how the competition works is that you just enter all members of your households from the 1881 UK census, as normal, and you then search for matches. You will be lucky and may win a prize if you get a match with someone having initials of EE (Easter Egg). If you get a match with anyone else at the same time, for the same entry, then you may not be first to submit that entry and the prize may have already been won by the other member.

Peter will be able to see who made the entry first and award the prize accordingly, so submit your census references as early as possible.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. Can somebody please provide a link to the Eater Egg Hunt Newsletter. Doing a search from the current one brings up a link to the newsletter of 31/3/2020 but that link takes you to the current newsletter.:(

18. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Try clicking on link in Latest News, at top-right of LC home page. That links to the newsletter of 31/03/2020 which has the original article.

19. It does indeed, thank you very much Bryman:)

20. peter

In general don't search for very recent newsletter articles - Google isn't that up to date. Instead use the link at the top of each newsletter that goes to the one before - for example, the Easter Egg competition announcement is only two newsletters back.

I always keep the last three or four newsletters open in Chrome tabs.