1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FREE ACCESS this weekend!

Discussion in 'Ancestry' started by At home in NZ, Feb 15, 2020.

1. That is the subject line of an email I have received about Newspapers.com. It is for free access to their Publisher Extra for Presidents weekend.

One of the suggested uses:
    View the actual newspaper clipping image for all those obituary hints you've received

I know I have received a number of those hints and not been able to access the obituary because I do not subscribe to Publisher Extra. It's too expensive.

Problem is, how do we find the hints?? There is no such thing as a reporting system in Ancestry, has any member of Lost Cousins ever tried to create one?

2. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

This must be limited to certain countries since I did not get the e-mail. But, since I did receive an obit hint in my e-mail yesterday I decided to check it out today to see if just maybe it stretched to Canada - not. It was for the wife of my husband's 1st cousin twice removed and, according to the hint itself had her name spelled incorrectly anyway.

I get a number of those hints as well; too bad I did not make a list of them for future just-in-case reference.

3. It came from newspapers.com and it contained this:
    *Access to Publisher Extra papers on Newspapers.‌com will be free until February 17, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. MT. Free Access available via the links in this email only. After the free access period ends, you will only be able to view Publisher Extra papers using a Newspapers Publisher Extra subscription. Terms and Conditions apply.

I gather you need to be signed up to Newspapes.com via Ancestry to get the emails. Perhaps canadianbeth you aren't?

I'm hoping somebody might answer my question about reports.

4. canadianbeth

No, I am not signed up to newspapers.com; as you said it is too expensive. Perhaps in future I will make a list of newspaper obit hints and when I have several will take advantage of the seven day free trial.

5. I have All Access subscription to Ancestry which includes the basic access to Newspapers.com. Even so I still needed to sign up, separately. (proverbial pain!)
    The free access which is the subject of this discussion is for Publisher Extra which is an extension to Newspapers.com and I keep deleting the emails that are asking me to take it up.

6. canadianbeth

So even with All Access (just looked at that; it is $50 more for a six-month subscription) you cannot get the obits without paying even more? My current subscription expires next month; I might consider upgrading to All Access but I am not sure if it is really worth it.

7. Spot on canadianbeth, it's what I call a right royal rip off.
    I have All Access because I have a million and one 'cousins' scattered throughout USA thanks to my Irish ancestry and a million and one in Australia thanks to my convict ancestors.
    All Access also give you access to Fold3 which I have found useful, occasionally, although that's another pain because you need to register for that as well.