1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

An unusual occupation?

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Pauline, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I was looking at a distant relative in the 1939 Register and was somewhat amused by the Ancestry transcription of his occupation: "Retired Civil Scroat".

Sounds to me like a contradiction in terms!

(The actual register has 'Retired civil servant'.)

2. Lankylady

Lankylady LostCousins Member

Pauline, in my experience and in certain areas, 'scroat' is a derogatory term for someone who's a bit rough and ready!

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I came across an extract from a London Trade Directrory for 1845 trying to find an ancestor James Crouch in London, offering a most unusual trade service
    [​IMG]

I know my James Crouch (1821-1889) shows an occupation of 'Painter' and at another time 'Grainer'
    (simulating wood grain I believe) upload_2020-3-6_10-37-27.png

He lived throughout in Bethnal Green so maybe an entirely different James Crouch. But that aside, in what form do you suppose one would offer warm and cold baths as a Trade rather than (say) as Public baths? That does intrigue me.

Attached Files:

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You will no doubt recall from my newsletter that public baths only came into being after legislation was passed in 1844, and only proliferated after a second act in 1850.

My guess is that a warm bath incorporated a heater, whereas a cold bath didn't. This article (found via Google) doesn't answer your specific question, but it provides a lot of background information that may help to narrow down the answer.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1