1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

I recommend Legacy

Discussion in 'Legacy' started by JennyMB, Jan 31, 2019.

1. JennyMB

JennyMB LostCousins Member

The title sums it up, but there are several reasons why I like it.

I started family history research in about 2001 and I "road tested" several of the programs available then and had no hesitation in deciding that Legacy was the one I would choose. I've never regretted the decision and Legacy has added many new features since then, which make it even more attractive to me. (It also has several new features which I don't use, but which many others do.)

Firstly, the basic program is totally free of charge and is very usable. Only if you want all the bells and whistles do you need to upgrade to the deluxe version and that is very reasonably priced. The program integrates fairly seamlessly with FamilySearch if you wish, but integration can be "switched off" and you need never know it is there. Being something of a stickler for "doing things properly" I found the system or Sourcing fairly easy to use, but when the SourceWriter was introduced I switched to that and use it all the time. It has templates for hundred of difference Source types and makes entering them accurately and consistently to a professional standard a doddle.

When I first started using Legacy I watched some of the available tutorial videos and worked through all the lessons in the Tutorial, which I found excellent. I joined the Legacy User Group (mailing list) and am still an active member. (I understand there is a huge following for the Facebook group, also.) The online help is good and usually solves any minor problems I encounter but on occasion I have had to call on the Support Staff and found them unfailingly helpful. Also hugely helpful are the regular Legacy Webinars.

Have I said enough to convince you?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi Jenny such a long time since I heard the word " doddle" :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PaulR

PaulR New Member

Hi all

I have been a Legacy user since 2002 and have over the years found it to be the best in my opinion.

However, because of the issues concerning the mapping feature (at least 2 years by my reckoning since it stopped working because of the change of Bing API) and also the uncertainty about its future bearing in mind the recent 'takeover' by MyHeritage, I am seriously considering changing.

It is not a decision that I will take lightly because of the work involved in switching but unless some progress is made on these issues soon I will make the switch.

4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Paul,

Why is there so much work involved in switching to a new software package?