1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Search Page not loading

Discussion in 'FamilySearch' started by PeterM, Nov 18, 2019.

1. PeterM

PeterM LostCousins Member

Is anyone else having problems with FamilySearch? I sign on and click 'Search records'. The search page begins to load and then freezes. On the rare occasion the search page does load it freezes part way through entering data. This has just happened this week.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I suggest trying a different browser.

3. Susan

Susan LostCousins Member

I have been having problems. The page does eventually load but ends up with a message
    "We are unable to display search results due to technical difficulties. Please try searching again in a few minutes."

For the last few days I have not had any results, just this message, no matter what I search for.

I have tried Firefox and Edge with the same result. My son uses a Mac so I need to see if that has the same problem.

4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I have had a problem with Family Search trying to open from a pre-set tab, and giving me a message (not the same as quoted) to the effect cannot 'authenticate and connect to the Oath Server'. I can usually override same by deleting everything from the URL box except the opening ...'familysearch.org' and pressing enter. However that did not work earlier today, so I just Google searched for FamilySearch and opened it afresh. Signed in and back to business on its opening page.

Quite a rare thing to have to do, but it seems to happen more since they upgraded their site security wise it seems to not like opening on a pre-set page (i.e. one used say the day before) but opening it anew seems to work and takes less than a minute.

I use Chrome but the same thing happened in Edge.

5. peter

What is a pre-set tab? Or are you talking about a tab that you leave open from one session to the next?

6. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I use a Mac and have just carried out a search using Safari. The results displayed as usual.

7. Bob Spiers

Yes. I always retain auto-set tabs for sites I use frequently, others I self delete. Next session when clicked they open to the page previously viewed. If ID is required for say subscription purpose, and if not auto-entered (from saved), then I enter same manually. On rare occasions -like lately with Family Search - when the previous page is not accepted, and cannot be coaxed by truncating the address line , I just search for the site again and start over.

8. Bob Spiers

Although fairly obvious perhaps I should have mentioned my Browser setting are set to 'continue where left off' or its equivalent in Firefox or Edge and in Opera 'retain tabs'. I rarely use any other setting.

9. PeterM

PeterM LostCousins Member

I was using EDGE browser without any problems until this week. I have now, reluctantly, downloaded CHROME (I have had problems with this in the past) and FamilySearch is now working OK. I assume it is the latest update in FamilySearch that is causing the problem. Thanks everyone

10. peter

So it's not auto-set or pre-set, simply a case of continuing where you left off (which is what I do on the rare occasions I close my browser)?

11. Bob Spiers

Ever the pedant Peter, but that about sums it up yes

12. peter

Bob, as you're one of the technical advisers that we all rely on it's doubly important that we don't misinterpret what you tell us.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. Susan

Susan LostCousins Member

I have not even tried to use Family Search for the last couple of days, but I tried this afternoon, and it is working fine again in Firefox.

The other things I have noticed is that the pages on the site now load straight away, no 'script slowing browser' banner; and the search pages now look the way they did before this happened. There were subtle changes to the search page while I was having problems eg the tab button took two clicks to go from first name to last name via the tick box, whereas it now takes just one click as it did previously.

14. BruceW

BruceW Member

I'm also having trouble getting in to Family Search. I can enter the site and put in my user name and password, but the site then freezes with little circles going round for ever in several boxes. Have never been able to use it. I use Google chrome. Tried it again using Firefox/Mozilla - same result. Help please - anyone?

15. So do I and it is set to open with 6 tabs, one of which is FamilySearch. I have used FS several times during the past 24 hours and there is no problem with mine.

16. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

No problem with Family Search sorry.

17. Bob Spiers

Although perhaps little consolation to you at the time you tried to access Family Search such things are often transient (of the moment) and often soon after (a little time licence required) things right themselves. There are many reasons and as others have reported (and I add my own) the FS site is up and running -and over time that is not always the case being down for upgrade or whatever - you can accept the problem is likely your end. So replicating the problem with a change of browser may mean clearing the cache is not the answer, but but do it anyway, for Chrome at least. (Report back if you are not sure how to go about this).

I am assuming you can access other sites so the thing to ask are you trying to access from a stored tab (as I and others do) and if so I suggest you remove the tab and try a Google search for FS and try to access again. If necessary reboot and try again. If you have a different device try to access FS on that, and this could mean accessing via a tablet or smart phone. When such happens to me (and it has) I often by pass the sign in process and then click on the FS icon on the left, which makes it re-open again...yes to the sign in page, but for whatever reason, it then seems to have got over the problem of access.

But bottom line you probably tried again (and again) and have access now anyway, if not let us know. Someone else may have a better idea of course.

18. BruceW

BruceW Member

Thanks Bob for the advice, but I've tried everything. I've deleted all my cookies and cleaned up Google chrome, but the site still does the same thing. I even tried entering it again half way through writing the question. There is no contact address on the entry bit of the site so I can't ask anyone at Family Search for help. Totally frustrated!!!
    I'm still using Windows XP, so maybe that's the problem. I have a laptop which I use for my family tree and do not use for the internet to ensure it is uncorrupted. That also runs on XP. I don't have a smart phone.

While I'm writing this, I tried Bob's shortcut of not signing in and clicking on the logo - with the same result. 3 boxes with a wheel going round in them. Going nowhere. Perhaps I should try to create another account, but It probably won't like it as I would need to use the same email address.

19. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Bruce, Windows XP? I think you may have just found the problem.
    XP was released in 2001, and last life cycle support was last year. Chrome supports Win 7 and later, XP is 2 versions before Win 7.

I think it's time to leave a 20 year old operating system and take a step into today? ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I think you may be correct Tim, If I use Internet Explorer to search in Family Search I get the same result as Bruce.