1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Bushfires in New South Wales

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Margery, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

New South Wales has been declared a State of emergency owing to the horrific bushfires. It is the worst crisis in 45 years and mass evacuations affecting tens of thousands of people are possible. Hot and dry conditions are expected to peak on Wednesday. Firefighters have come in from other States to assist our already exhausted people.
    My husband and I found ourselves on the edge of the devastation last Friday and we very fortunate to travel road that has now been closed to traffic.
    The media is saturated with bushfire coverage.

2. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure you know that we are thinking of those effected but this.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. mowsehowse

mowsehowse LostCousins Member

I wish NSW plenty of heavy rainfall, and God Bless the fire fighters.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Margery

No rain to speak of but plenty of winds. Latest update is 76 bushfires throughout the State with 29 being uncontrolled.
    Firefighters are coming from Interstate to assist.

5. mowsehowse

I think we are all praying the winds drop. God bless the fire fighters.

6. Margery

I see that I made my first posting on this subject in October, 2013. At the moment many areas in NSW have been classed in the "catastrophic" catagory. In the country town in which I live we have been subjected to thick smoke from surrounding fires though the town itself seems to be fairly safe. Further up the coast evacuation centres have been set up, manned by volunteers. The firefighters have been augmented by volunteers from interstate and overseas, they depend a lot on water bombing planes and helicopters. Last reports were over 150 homes being lost and three deaths. The devastation to the wildlife is unbelievable, the Koala hospital at Port Macquarie being overwhelmed with injured animals.
    I might add that the country is experiencing the worst drought in living memory and farmers (and all associated businesses) are depending on support from community organisations just to keep going.
    (On a personal level, we sold our cattle farm about three years ago and speaking to the family who bought it, they advised that all but one dam was completely dry and that they had got rid of all of their cattle!)
    My husband has just (5pm, Tuesday) told me that there are devastating fires currently in the suburbs of Sydney, water bombers with fire retardant are being used. There seems to be no relief.

7. mowsehowse

Every year the same horrific situation..... but this year there is flooding in places!
    I know you have at least 5 crews coming from Victoria.
    As ever, I wish NSW plenty of heavy rainfall, and God Bless the fire fighters.

8. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Is the area where you lived safe currently? My wife and I visited an Arabian Horse Farm near your former property about a dozen years ago. We have been trying to contact the owners but messages are not getting through. It looks as if the nearest of the fires is about 10km away to NE and the winds are moving the flames SE, towards the coast. Much of news received here in NZ is of a general nature. Do you have more specific information?

9. I really feel for the people of NSW and Queensland.
    I have also see the devastating results of the fires in the Blue Mountains a few years ago and on the outskirts of Melbourne. it is frightening.

The NZ Herald online has a full feature and there has been plenty in the TVNZ1 news this evening. NZ is sending firefighters, they showed them all packed and ready to leave and being given the Maori blessing.

A link to the Herald

10. Margery

Bryman, only what we see on the media. I know where the horse stud is and it seems OK at the moment. The closest fire was at Hillville and seems to have been controlled. The danger seems to be further up the north coast.

11. Margery

None has been predicted.

12. Margery

Very much appreciated as ours are working above and beyond the call of duty.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1