1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Probate Registry Wills

Discussion in 'Wills and probate' started by Pauline, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Yes, it's the difference between 'estimated delivery' and 'delivered' dates that is so striking. I wonder what the biggest gap will be?

2. BarryR

BarryR LostCousins Member

I've had six more from my 24th July batch (just four more left), so they do appear to be catching up. One of them was interesting, Richard Selves died in 1879 and left some legacies to one of his brothers and to the children of another brother. The rest he left to a niece, Hannah Selves, the daughter of a third brother - despite the fact that he had had eight children of his own. I know in the 1871 census Richard was living with Hannah as his housekeeper, so it is possible all his children predeceased him, or they had fallen out. So another research avenue opens out!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Helen7

I was surprised to find my childless great aunt had left everything to one particular niece, despite the fact her brother (this niece's father) was still alive, and she had several other nieces and nephews still living (including my dad). This must have been her favourite niece. If she hadn't left a will, her estate would have gone to her brother who may have squandered it all before he could pass it on to his daughter!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

They may be 'involved' but they're only contractors.- their responsibility is not to the customer, but to the Probate Service.

5. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Correct record now sent along with a lovely apology for their mistake. This will is quite an interesting one, about nine pages long with lots of details I will be following up on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LynneP

LynneP LostCousins Member

Finally! The wills ordered on 29th July arrived today. They're actually more interesting than I expected too.

7. lindy

lindy LostCousins Star

I received 2 of 4 yesterday from my 28th July order. Progress. They were for a father and son, with the same name, who died 6 years apart. Unfortunately the first section (the grant?) and the will itself were muddled so the dates didn't match! Still quite readable though.

8. Helen7

I finally received the last of the wills I ordered on 25th July on 8th October - 1 day short of 2 months beyond the estimated delivery date. I've been pleased with the information obtained from them and am thinking of ordering a few more now. I wonder if the turnaround time will be better from now on?

9. Freesia

Freesia LostCousins Member

I have finally received the will I ordered in July it arrived 8th October, I have chanced my arm and ordered another one hopefully I will receive it Dec or Jan

10. Gclarke

Gclarke LostCousins Member

Over the last couple of days I have received all but one of the wills I ordered on 29 July.

11. Jonathan C

Jonathan C Member

My first will. ordered on 30th July with an estimated delivery date of 14th August, turned up 2 days ago - 14th October. A simple mistake - when they estimated 2 weeks they of course meant 2 months. Another one turned up yesterday and a further one this morning. So far though there are no excitements to report, but then again I was simply ordering wills that I didn't expect to reveal anything much as I have most of those already. These were gap fillers really. Two more to go!

12. JennieL

JennieL LostCousins Member

I'm still waiting for two Wills ordered on 6th August … sounds as if they are gradually catching up though.

13. sarah333

sarah333 Member

A couple of weeks ago I ordered online 4 wills at the discounted price, and within 3-4 days they were ready for me, in my inbox!

14. JennieL

JennieL LostCousins Member

Most of my new orders are arriving relatively promptly too, it’s just the early backlog that they seem to have failed to tackle.

15. BrianM

BrianM LostCousins Superstar

Ordered 29 July … and still not a peep!! Not a one received as yet :(

16. lindy

lindy LostCousins Star

After the excitement of my receipt last Friday of 2 of 4 ordered 29 July - nothing! I had also ordered 3 more in late September as I got bored waiting and wondered when the price might suddenly go up again. 7 wills for just over the price of one seemed a bargain. At £10 a will previously it was a pricey decision. Needless to say the later order is now several days overdue.
    All my orders are 19C and the 2 received are from the Principal Registry. The others are variously Lewes, Salisbury, Blandford. Could this be a factor?
    Has anyone yet explained why the massive price drop occurred?

17. Killigarthkid

Killigarthkid LostCousins Member

I ordered 3 wills on the 28th of July. I received two on the 11th October but I'm still waiting on the third.
    Typically, the outstanding one is the one I most wanted to get a look at.

18. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Is there a different site that you are all using to find these wills? The original link says any person who died in the UK after 1996. I have tried putting in several names of my ancestors and am getting no results; I even used the name that someone else used previously just to check and got no results again. I also used some Barratt names where my cousin had sent for and received wills.

19. Helen7

There are three tabs on the page. The first one is for post-1996 wills. You need the 2nd tab: Wills and Probate 1858-1996.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Thank you. Every time the page came up those tabs were above the screen. All I ever saw was the "search for the .......after 1996"

Just a quick search and I found my great-grandfather Riches, who died in 1922, leaving 730 pounds, 0s 9d. Would that have been a fair amount in 1922?