1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Irish Naming and Baptism Traditions

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Bob Spiers, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I received via my Ireland XO membership a most interesting article entitled as above.

You can find it here - and I think many will find it of interest for those, like myself, struggling to understanding why things just do not add up when researching our Irish Ancestors. It's purpose to overcome the loss of Ireland's early census records, and concentrate on church records as 19th century census substitutes. Its purpose is fully explained and while mainly concerning Catholic traditions, is also covers Anglican (Church of Ireland) traditions as well.

Its main sub-headings are as follows:

Irish Naming Practice for Boys
    Irish Naming Practice for Girls
    Reliability and Exceptions to the Rule
    Middle First Names
    Middle and Double-barreled Surnames
    Infant Deaths
    Stillborn and unbaptised infants
    Using the patterns to solve gap-ridden baptism records - Before and after the Great Irish Famine
    Irish Baptism Traditions and Customs
    The 'Italian' in the family
    The Stipend (fee, if any, paid to the Priest)
    Sponsor/Godparents

As I am already a member of Ireland XO -and have been for some years - it may require you to register to view but as it asks me to share it with others - via Facebook, Twitter, Google or Email, I doubt that will be necessary.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 5
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

No need to register to read the article, but good luck to anyone hoping to use naming patterns in order to knock down 'brick walls'!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bob Spiers

Yes, I agree good 'Irish' luck indeed will be needed, but as someone who long despaired at tracking down someone, or something (like a Parish or a Townland) and being led up the 'Irish' path only to find the answer lay in one or more of the tips afforded in the article, I just wished I had known of such in advance.

The best advice I can give is to become a member of Ireland XO and then seek out your County of interest (or Counties if unsure) and narrow it down to a Parish (preferably Ecclesiastical) and register your interest with that Parish (most are represented). Again if unsure register with more than one.

You will be asked to enter known family details and they will then check their database to see if they have the family already earmarked. Whether they have or not questions are welcomed and someone will always respond. I have received tremendous help in this fashion because as locals they have the advantage of knowing the substance and vagaries of their own Records. Not surprisingly much of what was uncovered and explained to me can be found in the substance of the article.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It's both strange and unfortunate that so few people in Ireland have joined LostCousins - perhaps when you make contact with people through the Ireland XO forum you could invite them to join so that they can help their own cousins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bob Spiers

Communication dialogue in Ireland XO is always through or via Moderators (or their like) rather than one-to-one with other members. Of course all members subscribed to the same Parish can read posted topics and respond to same if they believe the topic relevant to their own research. By this means of course one-to-one contact could be instigated through the Moderator. If this happened you can be sure I would mention LC.