1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Strange Entry

Discussion in 'Medicine' started by Heather, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

That is the more likely Warton but Walton le Dale is not too far away, and this William & Elizabeth did live there, and have children born there.

2. Pauline

Oh, and the family were in Pickup Street in 1871.

3. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

I haven't been sucessful in finding William & Elizabeth either. I agree with you Peter that "Wharton" is probably Warton near Preston. In 1861 only even numbers in Pickup Street Blackburn are shown and in 1871 by entering "Pick" in the search box I found Pick Upper Street which is Pickup Street but sadly number 9 is not the Marsdens.

4. Pauline

I started out with the assumption that it was Warton but when that didn't get me anywhere I started looking at other places that might sound like Warton, which led me to Walton.

It may well not be possible to confirm which is the right family without buying the death certificate - and even that might not help, depending on who registered the death.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I think Pauline has found the right family in 1861 and 1871 - there is an 1869 marriage on the LAN-OPC site of William Marsden to Ann Walmesley at St Mary RC, Blackburn.

Interesting the maiden name of his first wife also seems to have been Walm(e)slry - although the GRO site was down Findmypast gives this mother's maiden name for the births of Joseph in 1845, James in 1848, and Ann in 1851 (she was 3m old in the 1851 Census).

They were living in Brindle in 1851, which is close to Walton Summit, which was part of the Lancaster Canal. The 1861 Census shows James' birthpace as Brindle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. in the website it says the church was founded in 1899, it doesn't necessarily mean the building was started then. My paternal family RC church in Stockport, Cheshire was founded in 1867 but it wasn't until 1897 that the church was built.

A great story and does warrant mention in the newsletter. My father had a leg amputated in the 1950's in a London hospital, I am sure it was incinerated.

7. Heather

I've seen another rather strange entry today whilst searching the Deceased Online site. On the same page as one of my ancestors in the RC section of Pleasington Cemetery Blackburn Lancashire, a burial for a Maigonis Zandbergs, hus of Lina, aged 68, on 4th Sep 1991. What caught my eye as being unusual was in the "notes" section the word "Exhumation". Searching further I found he was buried in the same grave on 3rd June 1991. I have not followed this any further YET.

8. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Perhaps there was some suggestion of foul play or negligence that arose only after the funeral?

9. Heather

Yes Peter, that is what I thought, I will try to find out more about this, although it is not connected to my family, it is interesting when one comes across unusual items.

10. JanetW

JanetW New Member

This post about the burial of an amputated leg being recorded in the church burial register rang a bell. Sure enough, I have found the notes I recorded many years ago when I was reading the wonderful pastoral notebooks compiled by the Rev Laverty, Rector of Headley, Hampshire 1872 -1928.

'Daniel Wakeford (5.4.1829) came into the churchyard on Headley Fair (1892) Lame. Lost his leg apparently about 1840-it buried in Headley Churchyard. A member of Rowledge Choir, a radical churchman, and strong teetotaller. Married 1850 to Sarah Hill. Through Surgical Aid Society has now in 1892 a cork leg but ''went 50 years'' without.

I can't find an entry in the burial registers for his leg though ! Nor does it appear that Daniel Wakeford was buried in Headley churchyard. He is almost certainly the Daniel Wakeford who died in the Farnham reg district in 1916 aged 87 (he was living in Rowledge on the Hampshire/Surrey border at the time of the 1911 census)

11. Jean999

Jean999 LostCousins Member

I thought there were restrictions on burying parts of an individual in different graves. I am trying to remember some cases where hospitals "found" parts that had not been buried with the corpse. The "found" parts had to be buried in the grave where the corpse had been buried: this could cause distress to the family (particularly if a young child had died).

12. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I don't think there are restrictions as such. It is more a matter of lessening distress if a 'complete' person is buried all in one place. And I think Jean999 may be thinking of burials after e.g a postmortem, when the body parts removed for examination could have been returned.
    The thread started with an amputated limb, where the person lived on. I suspect these days that e.g. amputated limbs are incinerated and thus never reunited with their owner.