1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNA survey - please respond

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by peter, Sep 5, 2018.

1. KC4

KC4 LostCousins Member

Hi Dahlia,
    It is probable that you cannot upload (and do not see the file button) because, like me, you are classified as a "new member."
    KC

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I've upgraded your membership - although you've been a member for quite a time you hadn't posted sufficient messages to qualify for the upgrade.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Dahlia

Dahlia Member

Thank you Peter. File attached.

Attached Files:

4. peter

Impressive results - thanks for sharing.

5. Dahlia

Dahlia Member

"Awards self gold star" :p

6. KC4

KC4 LostCousins Member

Thanks for your earlier coment. What would a non-paternal event look like?

7. peter

A non-paternal or non-paternity event is when the father isn't the person you expect it to be. Adoption, illegitimacy, adultery, or - in more modern times - sperm donation can all result in a genetic inheritance that doesn't match the paper record.

Usually abbreviated as NPE which is often also interpreted as "not parent expected".

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. RBCan

RBCan Member

How do I do this? You tell us " If so please take part in my project by completing the NEW spreadsheet and uploading the results " but, perhaps I am too late, I cannot see where to find a place to enter anything to complete this … is there a link and instructions? or am I just too late??

9. peter

You are a bit late, but the more the merrier, and you have clearly found the right spreadsheet. If you look back through the last couple of pages of posts you'll find all the answers you need.

10. DavidF

DavidF LostCousins Star

I had a look at my Ancestry DNA results and searched by county BUT there didn't appear to be any page numbers - it was all one continuous stream. Is it because I am using the 'Common Ancestor' beta?

11. peter

Unfortunately the beta doesn't provide page numbers, which means that if Ancestry don't provide some other way of counting the entries the spreadsheet can no longer be used.

Maybe I can persuade them to indicate the total number of matches for a given search filter (as they now do for an unfiltered search)?

12. KC4

KC4 LostCousins Member

Could you not divide the provided number of matches (shown in the drop down list of matches) by 50?

13. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

That would be good. But I find the continuous list on the Beta is not showing me all the people for counties where I have lots of matches. If I search on Lancashire or Yorkshire with the Beta disabled, I hit the 40-page cutoff of displayed matches. Using the Beta display, the continuous list only shows me 300-400 matches, stopping at someone who appears on page 7 of my original list for Lancs and someone on page 8 for Yorks.

If I select a county with fewer matches I see them all: 100 for Rutland (corresponding to the 2 pages I have in the old system) and 560 for Northants (12 pages in old system). It seems the new system struggles to cope with my dominant North of England ancestry!
    But the dropdown list only shows total matches, not matches by county (or have I missed some trick here?). So it would mean manually counting the hundreds of matches which appear for each county, as the total is not shown. And it is the total matches that is of interest, after all, not the number of pages.

14. PeterM

PeterM LostCousins Member

Hello, I have used the old spreadsheet as I have no ancestors in Wales. Other than Middlesex where I have 3 3xGGF the others are all in different counties. Is this unusual? I have looked through some of the replies but not found any similar. I have 2 3xGGF in Northern Ireland. My DNA regions in Ancestry.uk does not show any Northern Ireland! As this is my first message I hope I have got it right.

Attached Files:

15. PhoebeW

PhoebeW LostCousins Member

These county by county searches are useful for following up brick walls and finding where siblings and cousins went in the mid 1800s. Unfortunately I’m not able to search for Anglesey any more - made more frustrating because many of my Anglesey parishes aren’t searchable either. I have reported the problem and I’m hoping it can be resolved.

16. peter

Please use the latest spreadsheet so that we can be certain that the Welsh counties appear at the bottom of the list, as they do for others with no known Welsh ancestry.
    I ignore ethnicity estimates, but bear in mind that many people came to Northern Ireland from Scotland.

17. PeterM

PeterM LostCousins Member

Used the new spreadsheet as requested. I have shown two columns for 3GGP. The first is 3GGfathers the second is 3GGmothers. Not sure if you want to combine these. They appear to be the same for those I know.

Attached Files:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1