1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1921 UK Census

Discussion in 'Any questions?' started by Alexander Bisset, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

As most people will know the 1921 census is due to be released in 2 years time, so most folks here will likely be online scouring it’s contents and cursing the site crashing due to overl0ading.

The question I have is I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of when the contract will be awarded or if it’s already awarded and to which company. I may have missed the post in a newsletter so sorry if I did but perhaps someone can enlighten me.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I made enquiries recently and as far as I can ascertain there has been a delay in the contracting process for the England & Wales census. I presume that ScotlandsPeople will continue to have a monopoly of the Scottish census; there was no Ireland census in 1921.

3. Alexander Bisset

Thanks Peter. Am I right in recalling that the 1911 census contract had been awarded by Jan 2009 and so we are behind schedule for release in 2022?

4. peter

We're behind the original schedule, see this newsletter article. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the release will be delayed - the household schedules weren't retained so we'll see the enumerators' schedules, as we do from 1841-1901, which means that there are far fewer documents to be scanned and transcribed than for 1911.

5. Alexander Bisset

Thanks Peter I felt sure I'd seen it in a newsletter article but I couldn't find it. Given the contract will have been awarded the details should be available as to whom it was awarded to shouldn't they? I know this would be the case in Scotland I'm not sure if the weaker Freedom of Information laws in England would cover government contracts they definitely do in Scotland.

6. peter

But that's just it, the contract hasn't been awarded yet - according to my information.

7. Alexander Bisset

Ah ok I thought it had been awarded but was perhaps not announced. Thanks for the update.

8. malvolio63

malvolio63 New Member

Disappointing to hear that we won't have the householders schedules. I did ask that question to a representative of the TNA at one of the WDYTYA shows and was told that they had survived. Never mind.

9. peter

I'm going on the TNA catalogue description for RG15, which refers to enumerators' summaries of household returns.

10. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Thank goodness for the 1939 Register then! So the much anticipated 1921 census release could well be a great disappointment......:(

11. peter

The information in the summary books should be the same as on the form - you just don't get to see your relatives' handwriting, or their mistakes.

Also, there was no fertility census in 1921.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. Alexander Bisset

I noted there were extra questions and some questions (such as Peter highlights the fertility census) were excluded. You can see some details here.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2